fourteen

[fourteen: you promised me]

Lucy looked silently at her cordial as she waited in the Stone Table room quietly, allowing Ronald to sleep on her lap as he looked physically exhausted only a hour ago when she sung him a lullaby into his slumber. Lucy stroked his hair as he slept, something she had seen Genevieve do because Ron was supposedly accustomed to having nightmares most nights about his past family - and she wanted to comfort the boy as she saw as a younger brother. Whilst she waited quietly, she hears something in the distance - the trudging of feet walking up to the How and she rushes outside, Ron immediately hot on her tail as her sudden movement woke him as they ran outside eyes wide. Ron was quick to survey the lacking Narnians as he looked for his cousin - only she wasn't there and his heart stopped.  The army, led by Peter and Caspian had returned.

"What happened?" Lucy asked as she looked at the broken army, half the size as it had been before they left but the most notable difference being that Genevieve wasn't in the crowd.

"Ask him." Peter grunts as he brushes past Caspian by hitting his shoulder.

"Peter." Susan scolded, but was ignored by her brother so she set her sights on Edmund whose cheeks were stained with dry tears. 

"Me? You could have called it off. There was still time." Caspian retaliated against the high King who just rolled his eyes.

"No there wasn't thanks to you. If you'd kept to the plan, those soldiers might be alive right now." Peter blamed Caspian whose eyes darkened at his words, anger seeping through his veins.  

"And, if you'd just stayed here like I suggested, they definitely would be!" 

"You called us, remember?" Peter reminded Caspian who only scoffed.

"My first mistake."

"No. Your first mistake was thinking you could lead these people." Peter screamed, his heart pounding out of his chest.

"Hey! I am not the one who abandoned Narnia." Caspian retaliated knowing the words would hit King the most.

"You invaded Narnia. You have no more right to it than Miraz does! You, him, your father... Narnia's better off without the lot of you!" Peter screamed again and Caspian shouts, and they both draw their swords.

"Stop it!" Edmund shouted as he stared at the two, their swords lowering as they stared at the Just King. "I've already lost my wife because of the two of you! I am not losing my patience and sanity as well."

"Ed..." Peter whispered as he tried to approach his brother, only for Edmund to hold his hand out to halt him.

"Peter just don't!" Edmund said as he walked directly over to Ron as he kneeled down in front of him, dropping his head in shame before he looked up to look at the boys teary eyes.

"You promised me!" Ron whispered, a solitary tear streaming down his left cheek as he looked into Edmund's eyes with sadness.

"I know and I'm so sorry!" Edmund returned before Ron started hitting him in the chest repeatedly as anger flooded his system.