eight

[eight: the twins]

[eight: the twins]

The winter wind howled through the desolate marsh and bit at his frozen skin. The bleak grey cloud overhead reflected perfectly her grey mood inside. These short days, these long nights, the dampness that crept into her weary bones and made them ache for summer again. Each footfall broke the frosted puddles that lay embedded in the hardened earth, each one was made in the autumn, when the hooves of the horses that were ridden over the path had each sunk several inches into the then soft soil. The world seemed to lie barren and lifeless before her as if God himself had put it to sleep. 

Genevieve hadn't left her room in months, the mere thought of having to face Edmund and look into his broken eyes was enough to keep her locked in her room for eternity. She had never felt so guilty, so heart broken and so alone all at the same time. She knew she had hurt him, the last time she looked into his eyes she physically saw his heart break in them and she didn't think she could become more broken until that moment.

Genevieve fiddled with her mothers necklace around her neck as she closed her eyes, letting a tear fall. She wished she had her mother there with her, to tell her that it was all okay and that she could get through the pain but she didn't have that. Whilst she knew Edmund had his siblings to help him through the pain, Genevieve had nobody to turn to. She had turned up there with no family of her own to help her and whilst she confided in all four Pevensie children, this was one time when she couldn't confide in them.

Genevieve sighed again as an idea suddenly popped into her head and a smile graced her lips for the first time in months. Genevieve quickly got dressed before she opened her doors and walked onto the balcony, being careful before she climbed down the ice coated falls before landing on the soft snow with a thump.

The wintry trees she saw as she walked stood as ballet dancers poised to show the world their grace, strength showing in how they remain so still in the seasonal gusts. Now that the leaves have fallen, they are so proud, as if their silvery-brown skin was their glory all along. Genevieve lifts her head into the wind, eyes open for this softly lit day. Cold is good if you are warm inside, just the same as we love ice in the summer time.

The naked winter trees line the land and he breath rises in visible puffs to join the darkened clouded night sky. There is a freezing chill in the air that brings crispness to the leaves, bejewelled with frost, that crunch underfoot. Rosy cheeked, she'd stamp to keep warm, pulling her red woollen hat over her reddened ears and tightening her scarf over her blue-tinged lips. Her teeth chatter and the cold seeps into her gloves numbing her fingers until they cease to bend properly, stiffened and frigid.

Genevieve entered the stables and found Elizabeth very awake and standing in a corner, eating some access hay that someone had obviously laid out in Genevieve's absence. Genevieve swiftly walked over to Elizabeth and stroked the fur on her back comfortingly as she ate. Elizabeth looked up as she finished and she bowed her head to the young girl in front of her who was noticeably paler than usual - and a lot skinnier too.