1 - Poisoning

I slam open the sliding door to my room and rush inside like a fuming storm. Yet again, that manipulative woman had been causing trouble.

I glance back to the weak willed heimin behind me. Her legs tremble at the feeling of my anger, while her gaze is stuck to tatami mats. She looks as though she is about to flee any second.

"Sake. Now," I hiss out at her, taking out bits of the overflowing frustration on her, but also sparing her the situation about to follow.

She bows quickly, and quietly closes the door behind me, only to scurry off like a frightened mouse to get my request.

I let out a small furious roar, and tear my clawing hand from the handle of my wakizashi in a burst of frustration as there are finally no one to see me.

My fiancé, Kenta, the man that had always been by my side from the day we were engaged as children, has splendidly fallen in love with a woman from an enemy clan... the clan known for trickery, dishonor and seduction!

I know her red lips are plump and tempting...

I know her voice sounds heavenly...

I know her figure leaves nothing to be wanted in a sexual manner... but we are in the middle gathering information about their work in this city! Don't sleep with the enemy! It's filthy. It's dishonorable!

I want to let out a proper scream and turn to destruction, but the woman from before meekly announces her return. After glaring at the door, I gather myself with three deep breaths before acknowledging her entry.

"Enter."

I glance to her one last time as she enters, and see her cower again at my attention. She should be thankful that she is with me in a bad mood and not Kenta. I turn away and unequip my wakizashi as I walk to its stand. I place it down gently upon the sword stand with the utmost respect, and thank my ancestors for its protection. It had protected my life many times over the years, something I needed to remember no matter my current internal rage.

I shift with a firm step and move away to the table where the heimin woman is preparing my sake with a quivering hand.

She stole a glance at me worriedly. One could not blame her, for rage and alcohol can quickly turn situations worse. If I lost my temper in a fit of rage, she would be the first to suffer. Despite being looked upon as cruel and undignified, some of my clansmen do end up killing heimin in fits of rage partly due to the enormous temper of berserkers.

The heimin fills the white sake cup, and as soon as she finishes, I gulp it down like a plant starved for water. I know it is hardly appropriate to drink alone like this... but I- I can't take it anymore.... my fiancé , Kenta, was the man I had been promised to since childhood. He is wild man. A brute man... and a berserker. But he is a man with the most handsome and unguarded smile when it was just the two of us. A man with a warm heart and a natural instinct to protect, although a little too short tempered... but that was expected for a man from his family. And he... he is the only one I have left.

We had been together every winter since we got engaged at the age of five. We had sworn to be by each other's sides forever. He took me from that battlefield and from their sides just to keep me alive... to think he would break our promise for a woman like that, for a seductress... I must have relied on him too much. I- must do better, but just for tonight... please forgive me for drinking alone this once.

I put the cup down and waited for her to pour again as my eyes begin to sting with the feeling of held back tears.

She doesn't pour.