152 - A Path of Prosperity Drenched in Blood

Gilbert's Point of View

I've heard the sound of heavy blood drops against marble floors many times before, but this is one of the first times the blood has been mine... Last I recall was when Ellie stabbed me.

It burns... a searing hot pain in an arm no longer there. It's mind-numbing and nauseating to the point my sight blackens and blurs... like being covered in black smoke, but I don't have the time to give in.

I cover my hand in searing flames and cauterize my bleeding shoulder. In an instant a white hot pain takes over my body and rips my breath away in a scream.

By the time I put the fire out I've nearly crumbled to the floor. It's far worse than being stabbed by a searing hot fire poker, which is already an experience I never wished to reiterate.

...but this is fine. This is the price paid for our actions.

Even beyond Lionel's shield I can feel the fury emanating from Lily, drawing and tugging at my heart and stomach like she's pulling the soul from my body.

Why did it turn out like this?

How could it go so wrong?

I just want to see both of you happy...

Why must the two of you always hate each other so much?!

"Normand Tepet. Your son is aiding the traitor Augustus Celeste after he attacked my son."

The King's voice echos through the great hall... this time trying to turn child and father against one another with more half lies. I see Lionel's expression twist in pain, but he doesn't falter. He hasn't moved from where he was guarding Lily-chan, though he could've easily killed me while I cauterized my shoulder.

Despite his pained grimace Lionel fully draws his sword.

My stomach sinks.

It would've been so much better if Lionel had just stayed ignorant of Alstair's true face.

"No!"

Alstair scrambles up from the floor, screaming at the top of his lungs with a hoarse choked out voice at his father. He gives a hard glare at Normand, as though a single move from him would have him condemned for treachery as well.

Alstair's composure crumbles like a sandcastle in the rain as he looks to Lionel... Searching Lionel's eyes like an abandoned puppy with tears in the corners of his eyes.

Despite a born and bred paranoia, he never thought Lionel would turn on him in betrayal.... Abandon him, maybe, but never this.

"Why, Lionel?"

Lionel's attention moves to Alstair, but I can still feel bits of that attention on me. He sees me as a threat. The green eyes look like poison... but his answer is filled with pain just like Alstair's.

"I know," Lionel speaks out bitterly.

I already know this, but even so it should never-

"I know what you've done. House Listere. House Stanbell... Your siblings... I know what you are."

...The prince of Headal must have told them... but even if they did, they should have believed it a lie. Lionel has never flinched about those lies before. Just knowing Alstair asks me to torture people shouldn't make him believe the accusations of the enemy...

I feel my stomach sink, and that's when my eyes meet with Lily's.

Her chant is done.

She's watching them... waiting and listening.