145 - The Meeting of Wind and Water - Part 1

Iris tears up at my words as though I'd told her everyone she cares for will die. Her small frame trembles with anger that flashes in her eyes as a brewing storm.

At this point I can only blame the people around her for getting her hopes up.

"Even you doubt those words!"

Iris snaps back at me with her bright voice strained with frustration. Her dark blue eyes narrow at me as she steps forward with a presence too big for her small body. The light hearted demeanor that usually defines my sister evaporates.

"The crown-"

"Iris," Eric interrupts her by calling her name calmly. He kneels down in front of her and places a hand on her shoulder to turn her attention away from me.

"Breathe," Eric orders her gently. Still, he doesn't let her go. Iris' body still appears to jitter with anger and frustration, but Eric's heavy hand keeps her pinned in place. When she tries to glance to me again Eric calls her. When she finally focuses on Eric he brushes back a strand of Iris' long midnight blue hair.

"We must trust that everyone makes the best decision they can, Iris. Everyone is doing everything they can to make sure as many as possible survive the war."

He gives her a faint smile and gently caresses her cheek, and Iris' eyes fill with bitterness.

"But they will kill all nobles, right? So Curtis' family..."

I glance to Curtis, but while his expression is bitter he looks calm. He was probably already prepared for the risks when he was sent here.

"Iris," Curtis speaks softly as he steps up next to her and then takes her hand with a somewhat somber expression for a child.

"It is alright, Iris. I was prepared for this."

He gives a weakened smile before looking up at me with the same look of worry he had eight years ago when I was wounded after killing the assassin. He was only three back then. Quiet and helpless as he was dragged around by his older brothers. Now he's caring for my little sister like a gentleman.

"Augustus."

Curtis's green eyes seems to lock onto me.

"I still believe it would be better to give into the demand. At this rate you will really be the first to die. They cannot allow you to live."

His face is somewhat pallid compared to usual and his lips pressed together. Yet, as though his words came as a surprise, everyone went quiet and stared at me as though I am a dead man walking among them.

Eric's eyes meet mine, but there's no worry or pity. After all, he knows I am prepared for something like that. Still, I've been focusing so much on everything else that it never truly crossed my mind that I will end up dying the way things are going. In the end, will I have used this second life well?

Iris stares quietly at Curtis. She stares as though she couldn't believe what she just heard.

A hand too gentle to belong to Vitis or Asher tugs at my sleeve discretely, but without words.

"And I shall bring as many of them with me to the grave as possible when the time arrives. It is a sacrifice willingly made. Once I have finished dealing with the demands I will return to your brother's side once more, Curtis. If nothing else, then hopefully we will be able to hold them back and reduce their numbers to the point that only the lands of house Tepet are lost."

In the end, that is the very least we stand to lose in this war.

Iris finally looks at me, but her eyes are glossy with tears and confusion...