20 - Ghosts In The Closet - Part 2

'Knock Knock'

...

You have got to be kidding me.

I get up from my bed groggily after jolting awake violently and glance to the nearby clock. It's been just past an hour since I crawled into bed. Who in the world would wake an 8-year old at this time?

I walk to the door grouchily while tugging at the collar of the dress at the heat. I usually deal well with being woken up, but I want my sleep to prepare for Gilbert.

"Lady Lily?" A nervous voice sounds from the other side of the door. It's Lionel... He must have been quite desperate to knock on my door... or perhaps he chose mine because I already knew of Bertram. Either way, he's being far too persistent today.

I open the door and slowly stare out at him. As expected, he is all flustered. He even perks up since I actually opened the door. Seems like it was against his expectations.

"Have you seen my brothers?"

Ah. That makes sense.

I pause and listen carefully for a moment, but it didn't seem like his brothers want to come out. Why? Also, what a pain. I glance down the hallways, but if they're hiding this desperately then perhaps I should be careful in replying. I don't intend on lying though.

"Mmmm brothers?... I did find a couple of 'ghosts' in my closet, which I tossed pillows and my duvet at until I couldn't see them anymore." There, elegant, right?

Lionel's shoulders seemed to drop with relief, but he then looks behind me.

I cautiously close the door a bit more and narrow my eyes at him.

"I am not inviting you in," I grumble at him. The consequences could be a pain.

If the brothers wanted to talk to him they would have to do something on their own, and they weren't. If they were really afraid then they'd be wide awake at the door knock just like me. Still, it was quite obvious Lionel was anxious with worry for them. He even looks down guiltily at my words. Being so dutiful hits a soft spot of mine... I click my tongue at the thought that he'd gotten under my skin even if just a little. Curse you for looking like a panicking but dutiful older brother.

"I don't want visitors tonight. Also, I don't want any food or drink from your old maid. The 'medicine' your old maid gave to your brother smelled weird."

I said brother to let others believe I was talking about Curtis or Reynold. Currently, the only one certain that I knew about Bertram was Lionel... at least it should be.

Lionel stares at me for a while as if he doesn't understand, but I can't really think of a better way to tell him this.

Why hadn't I told him the part about the maid earlier? Well, I figured it was just daily life in their family... but if he's this worried about Curtis and Reynold then he might be worried about Bertram too... and Lionel grew pallid. Not suspicious or anything like that... just pallid like I'd told him someone was dead.

"...Excuse me..." he mutters and turns with a stagger. His staggering steps, however, quickly grow determined, and by the time he leaves my sight they were filled with fury.

Interest... that shock. He'd expected Bertram to be unaffected by the poisoning incidents? So Lionel was expecting his mother to behave, but...

I glance to the closet as I close and re-lock the door.

If even the 7 and 3 year year old Reynold and Curtis were victims... then Lady Tepet might have been unable to overlook it.

Bertram's mother was not just looking for him to be recognized. She wanted him to be the heir to the Marquess house. That was the only reasonable explanation as to why she wanted all three of Lady Tepet's sons dead. If this is the case, then Lady Tepet herself had likely been attempted poisoned as well to make sure she couldn't birth Lord Tepet more children.