46 - The First Dreams

Lily's Point of View

The summer heat lingers in the palace room as evening draws near. I somehow managed to chase off the curious kids and stumble back towards the bed, before sliding down the cold stone wall instead.

I'm drenched in cold sweat, and though the memories of the nightmare is already fuzzy, the feeling lingers like a burning dread with the smell of burning bodies.

Why...

Why is it like this?

It was fine until the siege, so why have the nightmares returned now?

I slump to the side down against the cool marble floor, hoping to remove even a little of the haunting feeling that clings to me like the spirits of hell.

I close my burning, heavy eyelids and sigh with relief at the cool feeling of the floor against my clammy skin. I'll just... stay like this for a bit.

Just... a bit.

—-*—-

"Rei-chui."

Haruki-Gunsou stops up in front of me once their scheduled training exercises end. He's trembling and would probably wobble if he took another step, but as you'd expect, he not only looks refreshed, but also fairly composed, despite clear exhaustion.

He's a squad leader for a reason.

Aiko, as a private, on the other hand is wheezing to get her breath under control and she has her hands on her hips while drawing breaths so big she looks like she's about to choke. She falls quite short compared to Haruki, but she's also a couple of years younger.

"As you are well aware of, Rei-chui, I've been informed that my marriage will find place this fall."

I turn my attention back to Haruki as he speaks up politely and catch a glimpse of his eyes that glimmer at whatever he intends to go with this. I am quite happy for him. He's marrying out of his family and into his fiancé's, who currently works at court dealing with the western clans, and thankfully the two of them are quite fond of each other. A rarity for sure given the big difference in occupation.

"As such, I was hoping that you would join me, and the rest of us for a celebratory drink this evening?"

I stare at Haruki slowly. I did sign permission for something like that a couple of days ago... getting permission for such a large group can be somewhat difficult due to worry for appearances. One drunk samurai is one thing, but 20 samurai is another. It would have been far worse if we had to include the rest of the unit. Getting permission for 100 samurai to go drinking at once is quite impossible. Especially since the army is gathering for war.

Still, it is uncommon to ask someone of a higher rank out for a drink. Usually I'd have to decline, but with the occasion being this, I suppose it will pass. I had expected said group of 20 samurai to include the squad leaders of our unit and perhaps some from other units. To think he included both me and the rest of the guard squad for this.

I glance to the other four squad leaders, including Oiwa and Yukio trying to hold in their smiles. They're probably planning on getting quite a lot more drunk than what a 'celebratory drink' usually refers to.

The only problem is that I cannot lose face in front of them. Were I to get drunk, then they would be obliged to get drunker. Were I to lose face, then they would have to lose face first. Seeing their smiles I feel like they've temporarily pushed that aside. Well, a couple of drinks shouldn't hurt.