106 - Companions

I rush out of the Keep to keep some semblance of face after everything that just happened.

Our disagreement on whether feline ears are suitable as war regalia aside... that last comment of his was unbelievable!

I was a bit angry at first, but it was merely a disagreement, however that! ...that left me wordless. Without a hint of romantic interest or amusement he said I... he said I was so cute with them on that multiple of his men would fall in love with me...

No matter how you look at it that means he finds me incredibly cute!

I just barely managed to excuse myself before I ended up losing face at those sudden and unexpected words of indirect affection, and now I'm trying to push the heat from my face while walking towards our part of the camp to set up my tent. The exhaustion from before seems to have faded, but I know it won't last.

Does the idiot even realize the words he said?!

I reach our part of the camp faster than I expect, and as I do Asher has woken from his sleep with this slightly worried expression as he sees. I figure that the after effect of the argument just now is still visible... fine, I'll use him to settle the argument by using him as a reference.

"Asher!" He blinks for a moment and then straightens up.

"Yes, Celeste-sama?" He replies instantly while I glance around and make sure none of the Tepet troops are watching. I pull out the feline ears and put them on.

"These aren't 'cute', right?" I ask, demanding an answer out of him... and his expression just goes blank. I know that expression... Quite well too... it's the expression of 'My superior just asked me something I can only give a wrong answer to. How do I get out of this with my career intact.'

...

I should let him go...

"Celeste-sama, I do not believe the ears are 'cute' on their own. They may be 'cute' for specific people however, just as ribbons," he answers flawlessly and finishes it off with a calm and polite smile.

I regret wanting to pull it back. He answered me without taking side, and on top of that avoided the subject of me specifically...

"Good answer," I grumble a bit and walk past him while taking the ears off. Thankfully it seems like the rest of our things have been placed here, so I start setting up my tent with Asher attempting to help out while watching me curiously.

"Did something happen while I was passed out?" He asked curiously, gently trying to pry it out of me relatively politely...

"A small argument." I cut him off with half the answer. Asher doesn't ask anything after that, but he seems curious.

Once I calmed down a bit I conversed a bit with everyone to check up on how they were feeling. Apparently Asher was the only one that had been on the battlefield before, so I had to make sure that everyone were doing well.

Ah, and on this note, Darius and Mike had finally made up. Darius did well for the situation and fought well, but when an enemy using magic on his axe got behind Darius' shield Mike stepped in and saved him without hesitance. I'd been surprised already back then, but Darius flew into a rage for a few moments before I opened a path, and Darius hurriedly carried Mike off while yelling at him for being weird and reckless. It was one of the most beautiful things to happen during the battle.

When I found them, Arven, Spence and Rudder were there as well, chattering eagerly. They were finally coming together. Mostly.

Peony is nowhere to be seen, and Vitis and Felix are talking quietly between some tents with a somber mood between them... Vitis looks burned out...