90 - Whispers - Part 2

Pale ghostly hands claw at my limbs, and I heard nothing but the screams and wails of the bloody and deformed ghosts in front of me. One of them moves closer. Half of his face dangles dangerously from his throat, and his bone and brain creates a mush that moves like a sloppy puddy as his mouth opens to speak.

'Monster'

'Murderer'

'Child of Scorog'

...

They're annoying...

I wave a hand through its face and watch as it turns to smoke for a moment.

Crawl back to the realm of waiting, Bastards.

When Felix said I would risk seeing ghosts... I was... worried... yes, worried.

'I cannot not have a waking nightmare in this situation. It is too dangerous... but could I control my mind if I saw them?' Is what I had thought... but none from my life as Rei we're here... NONE.

Then what about all these guys? They're the cowards from the siege 8 years ago... and believe me, I have not killed all of these guys. Some of them, yes, but most of them are just people killed by others that made their grudge against me... and there are enough of them to cover my vision entirely... and they're loud enough to drown out everything else.

I should have expected this. None of my comrades were pitiful enough to haunt me. They were all wonderful people, and they had likely either become ancestors or reincarnated to give them another try to fulfill their soul given destiny. Unlike this filthy bunch trembling with fear and anger.

I want to sigh and really, I try to ignore them for the longest time until a whisper catches my attention...

"Realm... walker.... helplesssssssss...."

I peer around for the source of the hiss like voice, but see nothing but the ugly cowards.

"Rei!"

Another voice causes my blood to run cold and makes my body break out in a cold sweat... I... feel that I get shaken... but I can't pull my eyes away from the golden figure cutting itself through the hundreds of ghosts with a familiar sweet and bitter familiarity.

My subordinates were all wonderful people. So they were either ancestors or reincarnated... they... they wouldn't be by my side...

"...Kenta?"

My heart stings and I stare at him confused. Still, he turns with me in a roar of war, though this time no sound of his booming voice reaches me.

The water around me began to move, and in an instant a huge wave bashes against me and sends me out of balance. If someone hadn't grabbed my shoulder I would have fallen into the swamp. I'm not sure how well I could get up if I fell down right now.

Another grab at my shoulder made me stumble backwards into a pissy flock of ghosts that immediately rush my view with their mangled shapes.

A swift katana moved through the air to clear away some of the ghosts and presented Kenta to me once more. His expression is scrunched into an angry growl and yet, his eyes glimmer with a hint of worry. He reaches for me for a moment, but his hand goes through mine like air. Gritting his teeth he motions with his hand behind me to the hand on my shoulder. I can just barely see the hand, for the arm is covered by ghosts crawling over it hungrily.

"I know!" I yelled back at Kenta who turns back to slaughtering ghosts and pulling them off of his body as they try to crawl over him as well. Judging by the tenseness on my shoulder and the water just now, we are likely in a fight. I've no choice but to trust Lumere with interpreting the targets of my spell. As long as I keep them in mind it should be fine... hopefully...