60 - Gilbert Salender

Gilbert Salender's Point Of View

My name is Gilbert Salender. I like cooking, girls with cute expressions, and work.

I'll admit any time that I am a bit of a workaholic.

The work of the Salender family is not what you would consider usual. Even though we do dabble in politics, our main business is in counter espionage. As you can imagine, this business has a lot parts of it that cannot come to light.

When I was about eight, I was actually fed up with this. I am, in my own right, considered a genius. I am not actually a genius, but a sweet look from a kid is often enough to make someone lower their guard enough to let us get rid of them. It is merely, that I got bored with this. I became a tool, that just always worked. I could adjust my behavior enough, and upon insisting, most people gave in or ran out of excuses.

Then there is Lily. The fiancé of his highness. I looked upon her gaudy figure and weak mind, and with that I knew she would be a weak point for the kingdom. Alstair took pity on her, so I didn't make a move. Then it changed. She fell out of favor.

Weak minded, economical danger, enough influence to be a danger. Furthermore, in the way of Alstair getting a good wife.

I decided to get rid of her.

I failed. I know now that she took but a glance at the drink... but back then I was in denial at the possibility that I was seen through for the first time. None the less, she did.

Of course next morning I tried again... but this time Lionel got in the way.

House Tepet and House Celeste have never gotten along. Even Eric and Lionel only pretend to get along, even though Eric thinks of Lionel as rocks for brains, and Lionel of Eric as wishy washy and undedicated. They both adore Alstair though.

Or adored, I suppose is more fitting. At least for Eric. He's changed a lot.

As for Lily. She changed after being tortured.

As you would expect of counter espionage, we also dabble in torture, so I have a feeling I know what happened.

Still, I thought she would want a kind outreached hand. I had seen a few broken people by then, and since I always considered Lily weak. I expected her to be mostly an empty shell when I stepped into her room... of course that wasn't what met me.

That weak girl, who had been cut and stabbed 53 times and likely several other things, was far from broken. That in itself was terrifying to me. Someone that could go through that and not break down is terrifying... but it's not like she was invincible. I know that.

When she looked at me it was as though hundreds of hands grasped fiercely at my legs to pull me down. Screaming, but never wailing. The reaches of the raging dead screamed in my ears as if they tried to offer me to her. Then they crawled up further all the way to my throat and took away my breath. That... was the feeling I got when she looked on me that day... but something else as well...

I believe people have three layers. Their outer mask. What they don't mind people knowing. Then once you peel off that mask you find the juicy layer, the one with all the secrets they know they have, and all the things they do not want anyone else to know... but there is often a thin inner layer as well, which is filled with all the secrets that they themselves are not aware of, or repress.

But her layer wasn't thin. It was thick like a tar pit, slowly trying to make her sink.

It's not as though I didn't consider that Lily could have been replaced, but after many indirect questionings I reached the conclusion that she was indeed Lily Celeste, and that the change must have been born during the torture.

Still, after the change she became my sparring partner. I was taught a lot by her over the years this way. Ways to say no, for she never once accepted what I tried to give her. Ways to escape politely from social situations, because she tires quickly from social situations. She even taught me that fear can be given merely with a look, and at times true terror can be born from mere words.

As such I never get bored around her. I stopped being tired from work and often try to apply the things I have learned.

I respect Lily. She would be a terrifying opponent to most. Sadly Lily has no interest in Alstair, and Alstair prefers a woman that only sees the good things. He doesn't want a wife that can be an opponent.

Claire Talwen fits this description perfectly. She is a beauty. She is kind. She is brave and just naive enough to become completely devoted to the one she loves. Furthermore, she is already prepped for the role thanks to House Celeste. While I am suspicious for the reason, I am certain it has to do with Lily. Both her and Eric are still loyal to Alstair despite rather obviously seeing through him, so I do not mind them trying to cancel the marriage. The marriage would never go well anyway.

Now, while I respect Lily, I have no romantic interest in her. She's not as cute as Ellie, and I like to live as well. You see, to get anywhere near her you'd have to be insanely brave and stubborn. Of people I know that could even begin to get close, there has always only been Lionel. And they did use to get along as well, so I suppose it is just awkward between them right now.

As such, after I ended up talking about aphrodisiac I have definitely considered putting it on the chocolate glazing on some cookies, making Lionel way it since he is more naive than Lily, and locking them up in a room until they make up. All my problems solved in one swift move.

There's just... a couple problems... I'm busy working and protecting Claire... and... my knight spies reported a knight swearing loyalty to Lily... in a matter that appeared to be insistent to force her to recognize it... he appeared to be aiming to heal the things Lily has been repressing... Another idiot with courage as big as a mountain made his appearance.

He, like Lionel might be able to go up against that tar pit of darkness that I sensed under Lily's surface. Even if she'll definitely struggle against it.

I'll keep watching for a while. It's not like Alstair would deal with it. While Alstair thinks of Lily as incredibly valuable, he doesn't quite nurture the relationship as much as he should. Another reason to have Claire-chan replace her.