70 - Cruel Reality

Helena Fox's Point Of View

Jesmaine has disappeared... so has all the students from Headal. The nobles won't talk to me about it. They all brush me off with 'politics', so I have no idea what is going on, or where I should look for her... Meanwhile I hear rumors that we're going to war with Headal. Is she going to be okay? If we go to war, won't she be in danger?

This place is different than it is in the game. They have slums, although hidden away... and many people have lost limbs in the wars to the east... and all they can do is beg.

Not just that, but it suffers from over-taxation, flooding from the mountains and military trained bandits... and meanwhile the nobles visit extravagant parties and act as if they're better than everyone else... how can I accept a world like this?

It was one thing to hear about it in a game... but the first time you see someone get their hand cut off for stealing as you visit the slums... that's... just too much... that is nothing like in the game, or perhaps it's just that they never actually showed it in the game.

---*---

I hoped that Claire was reincarnated, but she wasn't... she was still kind though, so she understood what I told her. She understood that things needed to change... or so I thought, but she was hesitant in changing anything. She said it would be hard. I know it will be hard, but she will have the position to change that as long as she ends up together with Alstair.

Alstair is kind, so he should be able to make the changes. If Alstair wanted to change something and the nobles went against him, then Lionel would rip them apart.

I know I am taking advantage of Claire, but I can't let things be as they are.

I... found a little oasis when I found Jesmaine.

I knew the moment I heard she had argued with Lily Celeste.

Jesmaine was a side love interest for Lionel... but not just that, she was a friend of Lily Celeste... Jesmaine would help Lily in bullying the heroine in both Lionel's route, but also in Alstair's. They would assist each other... and that is why I knew that something was wrong immediately... it wasn't the same with Lily... I... really thought she was just her normal arrogant self... no... I thought she had just leveled up just like the heroine...

I am willing to use people, if that means I can save others from being victims of war and the greed of nobles. I know that things can be better, and I want to see this world turn into something more beautiful.

That includes Claire. I sincerely want the best for her, and Alstair is incredibly kind. He would take very good care of her, so I don't feel guilt for trying to match the two of them... but I overlooked something...

The main villainess was much more sly than the original one... and she was a reincarnated person as well.

She humiliated me.

And she smiled while doing it.

She ruined my friendship with Claire as well. She still smiles at me, but she always has a hint of hesitance when she talks with me.

---*---

I was shocked to find out Lily was reincarnated... you wouldn't be able to tell. She fit in perfectly... no... I think she was worse than most of them... because she... she knew all of the horrible things that happened to the peasants, but she was fine with it. She just brushed it off like 'they should be happy their lord wants it good for them'... but she doesn't mind killing them at all!

How do you go from modern japan to this place and become so cold and so uncaring about people?!

And yet... she's now the only one I can rely on.