157 - Aftermaths and Beginnings

Lionel's Point of View

If I had tried harder, would everything have turned out differently?

If we had proof, could I have made father believe the cruelty of the crown?

Had I chosen differently, what would have happened? If I had accepted Alstair's offer, could we have ended it peacefully?

If I had let Alstair and Gil escape, could I have saved my father?

While feelings of doubt and regret storms around in my heart heart and mind, Lily starts swaying like she's about to fall over.

Knowing how Lily deals with herself I feel my stomach knot up with anger.

Why doesn't she ever tell anyone when she's in pain or about to crumble?! This stupidly arrogant person! Completely ignorant to her own state, be it physical or her mind!

"Augustus."

I call Lily as I walk up to her with rushed steps and put a hand on her shoulder somewhat heavily, but she's completely unresponsive... and instead she goes limp like a barely stuffed rag doll under my touch.

"Hey!"

My stomach sinks as I grasp her desperately to keep her from smacking her head against the floor. I somehow get a hold of her shirt long enough to let me slide an arm under hers and around her body to get a proper hold of her limp body. I let the shirt go and use my other hand to support her as I kneel down slowly, but Lily isn't reacting to any of this.

My stomach knots up again.

Her clothes are covered in so much blood, that I don't even know where to look for injuries at this anymore. I move to let her head rest against my shoulder.

How is her breathing?

I put my fingers to her lips and concentrate for the feeling of breath, and quickly conclude that something feels... off. Her breathing is steady. Her empty expression from fainting is even replaced with a calm one I lean her against my shoulder.

Is she... sleeping?

Soleil rushes to my side quickly and puts a hand on Lily's forehead. I move my fingers from her lips and watch Soleil for any hint of severity. The gentle light from Soleil's hand caresses Lily's skin for a few moments before the light fades and Soleil gives a sigh of relief.

"There are no major injuries. He just passed out from exhaustion. He should be fine after a bit of rest. Healing magic generally doesn't remove physical fatigue though, so he'll have to sleep it off," he concludes and gives my free shoulder a little pat before heading off.

I end up letting out a sigh as relief washes over me. Just combat fatigue...

I look over Lily's sleeping face and gently brush the blood and tears from her cheeks. She had just barely managed to stay awake to see off the people important to her... if she hadn't, regret would probably have eaten away at her heart the way mine does now.

Still, with how much she has gone through, Lily is probably going to sleep for quite a while. Her mind is strong, but her body cannot actually keep up with her. I need to find her a place to rest.

I shift my hold on Lily's body to lift her, and immediately I am reminded of how slight and feminine her frame actually is. I ended up thinking about this as well when she was sick last time, but this body really wasn't built for the reckless things she puts it through.