163 - Peace Talks - Part 1

Lily's Point of View

In the end, I never found out what secret that Magdalin and Asher are keeping. Of course I asked both of them separately, but Magdalin said it was 'nothing' and Asher said it was a surprise for when we got back. I even tried to pressure him by narrowing my eyes at him, but he just gave an unaffected polite smile back.

While I am not against the two of them keeping a secret, it is odd that Magdalin would keep one with someone else... but, it also a good thing. She is getting more close friends.

Thus I decided not to bother them any further and just await the surprise. After all, it was supposed be to be a happy one.

"Lord Tepet," Princess Emilia calls out the window of our carriage. Usually he would be in a carriage of his own as we are heading to a party, but he insisted on riding among the knights just in case. Princess Emilia didn't speak against it.

Emilia directs her attention to Magdalin and I as Lionel rides up next to us. He's in formal wear, medals and everything. It's been quite a while since I saw him this dressed up. Still, it looks like he feels better after visiting his family.

The faint signs of lack of sleep are gone, and his eyes seem clearer now.

With a gentle feeling of relief I focus back at Princess Emilia, who is seemingly doing her best not to curl up on the carriage seat in her frilly violet dress, while looking rather uncomfortable.

"We have received a message from Headal. Apparently Princess Catarina of Crinia will be meeting us at the entrance."

...Ugh...

The author?

No wonder Princess Emilia looks so uncomfortable.

The last meeting at Ice Claw Keep was far from good. Catarina even spent most of that meeting insulting and taunting Lionel, so why would she come out to greet us?

I had hoped she would stay away, or at least formal by prince Jacques' side until the contract was signed, but I suppose she did have some fascination with me last time.

See, even Lionel grimaces at the thought. His shoulders even slump down and he lets out a visible sigh.

At the least, Catarina should behave until the contract is signed... but seeing how neither Helena of Jesmaine act with that sort of consideration, I get the nagging feeling that Catarina will not be able to contain herself either.

"And that Catarina used to be a man."

...what?

I stare at Emilia dumbstruck for a moment as she says that.

A man?!

No, wait. That would somehow make sense.

A male perverted author would make the school uniform that short and revealing without hesitation.

But, if Catarina, Helena and Jesmaine are like that... then what kind of person will King Landon be? And... what will I do when I meet him?

I feel my stomach knot up. I cannot think of a way to split that snake's guts from his body without risking the safety of the country, my family or my promise to Kenta as things are right now... but if he just once tries to harm Emilia, then I'll tear him apart. I reach for the pendant through the lace of the dress, clasping it tightly.