118 - One of Us - Part 4

My body feels cold and sweaty... and I can't tell if it's because of the words Catarina just spoke, or the fever Lionel insists I have.

I knew house Listere's children were poisoned from listening to Soleil's backstory, but I never found out who did it. The reason I didn't find out, was because poisoning someone continuously without raising suspicion should be impossible.

House Listere should have changed their entire staff multiple times, and whatever noble house was poisoning them would have had to manage to get through that.

I knew that Gilbert routinely poisons people, and I've already blamed him for the death of the former king of Crinia. If anyone could do it, he would be it. However, I couldn't find a reason. Even if the royal family could do it by using House Salender and perhaps a bit of their authority over House Listere, I cannot see a reason.

The only thing House Listere has that the royal family does not, is light magic... but why would they kill those light mages?

Lionel's reaction to the words is vivid. He's lost all color i, and his eyes are wide with what I can only assume is because he understands the situation, and finds it plausible... and as much as I want to ask, I know that asking him now will only tear at his loyalty to Alstair more. For a lord to break the lord-vassal contract means that Lionel's family could be in danger of being betrayed as well, if they haven't already...

The lord-vassal contract has a few basic demands set down for each party, which usually differs slightly in contract from contract, and can be adjusted slightly.

As a vassal with land you are supposed to serve, and be ready to set a military to use for your lord and serve along with it, and protect your lord's interests. There may be more, but this is the most important one.

The demands for the lord are by far fewer, and should happen less often, but they are extremely important to know, however, the one broken is the clause of justice.

This clause means that the lord must protect his knight against false crime accusations, and ensure that his knight is treated justly. This too means that the lord will treat his knight justly.

If the clause of justice is defiled, then the contract is broken, and the vassal is no longer bound or sworn to loyalty and may justly attack his lord.

I was discussing this clause with Lionel the day before yesterday before Helena arrived with the headband. We are sworn to protect Alstair's interests, and unless the contract is broken, then that is that.

Of course we can break our side of the contract, but since our lord in this case is the king or prince himself, it would be deemed an action of treason. Carrying that title for a noble household is the same as a death blow.

As much as I refuse to marry Alstair, and as much as I dislike that this is a country that would poison an enemy king, I am a loyal subject. In my former life we did not choose our lords. We were moved however they saw fit and that was it. Having a lord you dislike is merely a matter of bad luck. Even then, the people of Ristaze are generally well off. They do not suffer under the rule, and the land... the capital and the Salender territories prosper... no, let's push that matter away for now.

I tighten my grab on Lionel's arm and watch him carefully. She's trying to sway his loyalty, and as much as it annoys me, she has a good point. If the royal family does such a thing to a ducal house, then they won't think twice of doing it to others. She has nothing to lose. If Lionel gives in, then she has a straight path to the capital. Lionel is still thinking, so I decide to try to cut the conversation short to prevent any further nasty revelations coming out of her.