142 - Returning Home - Part 3

It's not often I get to use the ward of fear, as it is quite restricted. With it only covering a single passage you usually can't use it on rooms, but this once it was perfect for the occasion.

Still, seeing this creature with the pitiful semblance of a human at my feet laying in its own vomit, makes it not only worth it, but also the least dangerous method I could have used to get this... 'ally' alive.

If you're considering why I am so... unwilling to recognize this thing as human, I can assure you that it is not only because it's a coward, but also as a judgement of its skills. Illusion and sound manipulation along will skills for sneaking around generally makes him an unpleasant person, but a person as this calling himself an ally of a noble with an army, is not something a hunter would say.

They'd scream, 'I am innocent'.

A scout would neither be found here near the capital, and they'd introduce themselves by name rather than hide away in the shadows if we were truly allies. There is however one class of people that would act exactly like this.

Spies.

There is little that separates a spy from a stalker in matters of wicked dedication to find out your personal secrets. Wicked little things that care more for digging up every little secret you have, every hope, every love, every dedication... and give it to someone that wants only to use it all to bring you pain, manipulate you... or destroy you.

I despise them.

"Milady!"

Asher's voice sounds and rips me from the discomfortable memories. Asher steps out of the deep purple bushes with a frantic look that doesn't suit him even one bit. I guess we... I started taking too long. Felix hadn't been comfortable entering this 'cursed' area so had I ordered him to stay behind.

It doesn't surprise me that Asher ran in after me without any regard for the 'curse' when he found out about this. He did charge into the life of a warrior because of apparent admiration for me, so what difference would a curse make? Asher probably insisted that someone go with me.

He still looks quite pale as he gives a vague sigh of relief seeing that I am safe and that the thing at my feet is laying passed out.

"We will head back, Asher. There is nothing more to do here."

I pick up the coward at my feet. As much as I want to drag him through the undergrowth, it wouldn't be appropriate. It almost counts as torture after all.

Asher steps up to me with furrowed eyebrows and a frown on his lips.

"Lady Lily, please be more careful. Heading into a cursed area on your own is incautious,"

Asher attempts to express his concern as he disapproves of my actions, as expected. Had it been my old world he would've had to be on his knees begging for this to be appropriate, but this passionate statement is expected from knights in this world. Of course you can tell them that they agreed to serve you and then they have no right to complain again, but it is still a big difference from the complete obedience I was used to.

I admit, I'm a bit too bitter to mess around right now.

Asher's eyes flicker to the mausoleum with tensing shoulders. He likely believes it the center of the curse.

"The place is not cursed. It is a magic abundant area for faeries of darkness. Lumere keeps faeries away from me so I've no problem with them. When it comes down to it you are the one most likely to be blessed or 'cursed' by them," I snap back at him quickly to get his mind back on track and continue to walk past him.