154 - Even Beyond Death We Stand Together - Part 2

Dread rushes through me as I watch William approach Lionel.

I know what I am about to see, and I wonder why we realize what we are about to lose when it is far too late. Why is it always when we are not prepared that we lose the things we love?

I clutch the pendant close with a desperate, pathetic plea that I don't want to lose anymore people dear to me, yet my voice gets stuck in my throat and warm tears roll down my freezing cheeks.

I cannot interfere.

The kindness given to me cannot be returned by helping him or taking his place. Lionel decided to give his life for a cause... so I'd dishonor him for choosing him over the thing he fights for... the thing that made him turn against his family and childhood friend.

Even so, I am helpless. I need to pray for healing, but... Mike and Rudder are falling. What Lionel fights for will come to and end and so will he.

I can't heal them from here. I can't cause a floodwave without them being hit as well... and honestly, my legs are crumbling. Just as Kenta I am reaching my limit as well.

Feeling a pressure on my shoulder I finally sink to the marble floor. I see a flash of Kenta's katana moving over my head as I look to Lionel one last time.

William draws a sword with all the elegance of a boar, but Lionel's eyes move to the princess... and then to me.

"William! No!"

I can hear Alstair's desperate scream among the many voices, but as William is about to stop the king speaks up despite his injury.

"That man is a traitor, Alstair! If he lives he will kill you!"

I catch a vague glimpse of Alstair's horrified expression at those words and how both Gilbert and several guards hold Alstair back from intervening...

"What do you want to do?"

Kenta looks to me with a peace I've never seen in him before as he asks me this question.

I want to let Lionel live, but... but I must honor what he holds dear higher than his own life. I mustn't be blinded.

As William raises his sword at Lionel I give my answer, "Save the princess."

Kenta gives me a nod in confirmation and then pulls me to my feet. His blood soaked hand grabs me by the shirt and with little effort he lifts me into the air, all my weight on his hand.
His black eyes carry hints of a smile as I am reflected in them...

How long has it been since I saw him smile? But... what is he doing?

"Ken...ta?"

"I... wish I could have done for you what that man has, Rei."

His faint words are followed by a sinking feeling in my stomach as he lowers me just a bit... and with a last ditch effort of strength with the pained and exhausted roar of a lion Kenta... throws me....

Above the encirclement and further than the strength of man should allow him... towards Lionel.

Why?!

Weren't you the one saying you were reaching your limit?!

I-... I said I wanted to save the princess!

I grit my teeth and feel more burning tears force themselves from my eyes... but the true pain is from the realization that Kenta must have realized I wished to protect Lionel.

I see Kenta grip his sword tightly and turn the moment he lets go of me, and with yet another roar he charges into his encirclement recklessly and without thought, taking all attention upon himself from the guards and soldiers trying to kill the princess.