Chapter 1: Summer

I gazed at my small apartment. I heard Qrow get out of the car with both of our suitcases.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

"Do you like it?" I asked. "Is it too small? Maybe we should—"

Qrow cut me off with a tender kiss on my lips. "Summer... it's perfect. Besides, it'll be just us two, so the size shouldn't be an issue."

I smiled a little. "If you say so. Shall we unpack our things?"

Qrow nodded. "Sure. I'll carry in the suitcases."

I walked to the door and unlocked it for him.
"It's kind of dark in here. Let me turn on the lights for us."

After several minutes of fumbling in the dark, I finally felt the light switch. Qrow sat on the couch going through his things while I went to the bedroom to clear out a few drawers for him. Qrow was waiting for me once I was finished.

"It seems like you've been rushing around all day," he said. "Why don't you come sit with me? You need a break."

I smiled and joined him on the couch. I laid on top of him as he gently stroked my hair. 

"Hey Qrow?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"Have you spoken with Raven? I know it's only been a few days, but I'd like to know if she's okay."

Qrow was quiet for a minute.
"No. I haven't heard from her, but I'm sure she's doing fine. This isn't unusual for her. She can sometimes go for months without contacting anyone."

"Oh. Maybe I should call her?" I suggested.

Qrow shrugged. "You can if you want. I can't guarantee she'll answer you."

I pulled out my scroll and found Raven's number. After waiting through several rings, I got nothing except her voicemail.

"Dammit," I said, tossing my scroll onto the floor.

Qrow kissed my cheek. "I'm sorry she's so distant. Maybe she'll call you back later?"

I sighed. "Maybe."

Qrow and I lounged on the couch until we finally decided to get up and sort through our things. Qrow had a drawer of the few items he had brought with him to Beacon. I helped clear a spot for him in my closet to put his clothes.

"I can't thank you enough for doing all of this for me," he said, hanging up one of his shirts.

I walked over and wrapped my  arms around his waist.
"It's no problem. I'm just happy to help."

"We really need to think about what we're going to do career wise," Qrow said. "Do you have any ideas?"

"I just thought about doing missions. I was thinking about calling Ozpin later and seeing what missions he has for me."

"Maybe we can do bounty missions together? We'd be able to kick ass."

I laughed. "That sounds like fun! I'd love to do missions with you."

I let go of his waist and started to head toward the kitchen.

"Where are you going?"

"To make us dinner. Would you like to help?"

Qrow smiled. "I don't know that much about cooking, but I'm willing to learn."

He followed me into the kitchen and helped set the table while I boiled some water and added the noodles.

"What are we having?" Qrow asked.

"Spaghetti if there's any sauce. Could you look in the cabinets for me?"

Qrow walked over to the cabinets and found a jar of sauce. As he was handing it to me, the jar slipped. I managed to catch it inches before it hit the ground.

"Uh... sorry. Nice catch by the way," Qrow said.

I sat the jar down gently. "Thanks. That was close."

Dinner passed by swiftly. Qrow and I ended up talking about team STRQ for most of it. The conversation made me a bit sad, knowing that the team would likely never reform again.
After dinner was over and the dishes were done, I quietly excused myself and retreated to the bedroom.

My mind drifted as I folded the sheets. I wondered if Tai still blamed Raven for the team disbanding. Not that I really cared. He could think what he wanted.

"Hey... Summer?" I heard Qrow ask. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah. It's unlocked."

Qrow opened the door quietly.
"I just wanted to apologize earlier. I didn't mean to upset you when talking about the team."

I shook my head. "I'm not upset. Don't worry about it."

Qrow stepped forward, looking into my eyes. "I can tell when you're upset, Summer. Your eyes turn dull when you're feeling sad, anxious or angry. They seem to be brighter and shine when you're feeling happy and excited."

"What? I never noticed before," I said.

I walked over to the mirror and gazed at my reflection. My silver eyes did seem less shinier than usual.

"See? The shade of silver seems the change depending on your mood."

"You're very observant, aren't you?"

"I just want you to be happy, Summer. Is there anything I can do to help?" he asked.

"Could you lay with me? Being in your arms is one of the most comforting things in world."

He smiled and wrapped his arms around me. "Of course."

I kissed him gently as we laid down together to sleep.