Chapter 47: Raven

"Hey Raven, do you want to change Yang?" I heard Tai ask.

I groaned and opened my eyes. I've only been a mother for a day and I was already exhausted.
"Why can't you do it?" I asked. "I'm trying to sleep."

"I can't do it because I've got some tests to grade. And you're her mother. You should want to spend some time with your daughter."

I sighed and got off the couch.
"Fine," I said, walking over to Yang's bassinet. She was crying pretty loudly. I picked her up gently and rocked her a bit.

"It's okay, Yang. Let's get you changed."

I sat her on the couch and removed her dirty diaper. Then I reached over to grab the baby wipes that I sat on the end table. I wiped Yang carefully and threw the dirty wipe and diaper away. I returned to the couch and got a new diaper from the diaper bag. After it was put on, she still continued to cry.

"Tai! Yang is still crying," I called. 

"Then rock her a bit. If that doesn't work, then she's most likely hungry," he said.

I gently scooped her up in my arms and started rocking her a bit.

"See? Isn't this nice, Yang?" I asked, looking down at her and smiling.

Slowly she stopped crying and opened her eyes. They were a shade a light purple, which was a pretty rare eye color. I figured she'd have blue eyes like Tai. Or red eyes like mine.

"Let's try to feed you now that you've calmed down," I cooed at her.

She giggled and smiled at me again. She really was a cute baby.

I walked into the kitchen, where Tai was grading his tests.

"Hey, how's my sunny little dragon?" he asked.

"Doing a bit better," I replied to him. "I came in here to fix up a bottle to feed her."

"Okay. Sounds good. Her formula and the bottles should be right on the counter," he said.
"Here. I'll hold Yang while you fix her bottle."

"Thank you," I said, handing her to him.

I walked over to the counter and saw the formula. The baby bottles were sitting on the drying rack. I took one of them and filled part of it with the powdered formula and the rest with lukewarm water. After the bottle was full, I took one of the lids and screwed it on. I shook the bottle for about a minute until the formula was well mixed with the water. I walked over to Tai, who held out Yang to me.

"I would love to help, but with all these tests that need graded, I'll probably be busy for at least the rest of the day."

"I know. And I understand. I can care for Yang today," I told him.

I just hope I do a good job, I thought to myself. Motherhood is proving to be a bit more complicated than I originally thought.

I walked into the living room and sat on the couch. I held Yang in one arm, and was holding the bottle in the other. I rocked her gently as I was feeding her. She shut her eyes as she sucked on the bottle. She looked happy and peaceful.

"It's okay, Yang. I'll always be there to protect you," I promised her. "If anyone tries to hurt you, they'll have to go through me first."

Yang said nothing as she continued to feed. After a few more minutes she stopped and opened her eyes.

"Are you all done? Here, let me—"

Before I could finish my sentence, Yang spit up all over my dress.

I sighed.
Welcome to motherhood, I thought.

I sat the bottle down and walked back into the kitchen.

"What happened? ...Oh. Did she spit up on you?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"Done worry about it. I'll wash your dress tonight."

"Thanks," I told him, getting a damp rag and cleaning off the spit up.

I walked back into the living room and was about to rock Yang to sleep when my scroll went off. I brought it out of my pocket and looked at the caller ID. It was one of my tribal members, Vernal. She hadn't been with the tribe very long, but she was a capable fighter despite her young age.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Raven! Thanks the gods you answered! Things here are getting really bad. Your grandfather went on a raid with some others and was killed. We have no one to lead us. Everyone is fighting and they won't stop. I'm scared!" she said.

"What? My grandfather is... dead?" I asked her.

"Yes. I'm so sorry. But the tribe needs a leader before things get even worse. You're the only one who can lead us. Please?"

I looked down at Yang, who was sleeping.
"I'll... think about it," I told her. "I'll call later tonight with my decision."

"Understood. I'll be waiting for your call."

I hung up and laid Yang down in her bassinet. I was at an impasse now. Yang needed a mother in her life to teach her about the world. But I couldn't just leave my other family alone to defend for themselves. They needed a leader that will protect them. And Yang had Tai, Qrow and Summer to protect her. ...My tribe had no one but me.

I sighed and gazed at Yang once more.
"I'm sorry," I whispered to her, "I have to do this. I can't leave my family to die. I'm so sorry..."

I carefully walked to the front door and opened it. Once I was outside, I slashed the air with my katana, creating a portal.

"I hope you two can forgive me," I whispered as I walked through the portal.