Chapter 76: Qrow

Tai allowed me to stay the night at his place. I awoke to someone shaking me.
"Uncle Qrow! Wake up!"

I groaned and opened my eyes to see Yang smiling at me.
"Hey, Firecracker," I said, yawning.

She was holding a book in her arms.
"Will you read this to me? Please?" she asked.

I smiled and sat up.
"Sure," I said.

I read the book to her as she sat down next to me. Shortly after I was through reading, I heard footsteps coming from downstairs.

"Morning, Qrow," Tai said, as he was walking down the stairs.

I closed the book and sat it aside.
"Morning," I told him. "Do you work today?"

Tai walked into the living room.

"I do," he said. "Could you watch the girls for me?"

"Yeah. Of course," I said.

"Thanks. I need to be heading out now. I'll be back around five today. I'll see you later. Goodbye girls," he said.

I watched as he walked towards the door and opened it. After it had closed behind him, I felt Yang tug at my sleeve. I looked down and saw she was holding yet another book.

"Could you read this book, too?" she asked.

I chuckled and scooped her up into my arms.
"Sure thing, Firecracker."

When I was halfway through, I heard a noise from outside. I instantly stopped reading and listened. Someone was here. I could feel it.

Yang looked up at me.
"Uncle Qrow? What's going on? Why'd you stop?"

I sat her on the floor and stood to my feet.
"Watch over your sister," I told her. "Think you can do that?"

Yang looked confused.
"Why do I have to watch her?"

"Just do it for me, okay?" I asked.

Yang nodded. "Okay. I'll go upstairs and watch her."

I hugged her. "Thank you. Stay safe okay?"

She hugged me tight. "Okay, Uncle Qrow."

I let her go and she ran upstairs to the nursery. Then I made my way to the front door and opened it.

I gazed around, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. But still... it felt as if I was being watched.
I reached behind me and gripped my blade's handle tightly.

"Who's there? Show yourself!" I yelled.

Nothing happened.

I slowly unsheathed my blade.
"I know you're out there!" I said. "Whoever you are, stop hiding and show yourself!"

"My my," a voice said. "You're quite insistent, aren't you?"

I watched as a figure stepped out of the shadows. I recognized them immediately.

"Tyrian," I snarled.

Tyrian laughed. "Ha ha ha ha HA HAHAHAHA! Looks like I did make the right call waiting for your friend to leave. You're now all on your own. I can now get on with my orders from Her Grace. Killing you."

I pointed my gun barrel at his head.
"Just you try it," I snapped. 

Tyrian quickly ran towards me, his stinger trying to stab me multiple times. I dodged most of him and blocked the ones I couldn't with my blade.

Think Qrow... think! I thought to myself.
There has to be a way to get rid of his metal stinger.

Then an idea cane to my mind. I remembered the way I had modified that boulder in order to make Summer's grave. Maybe if I heated my blade enough, it would melt Tyrian's tail clean off.

I instantly got to work. I grabbed some fire dust and began to coat it on my blade. I watched as it began to glow a bright red.

Tyrian's eyes widened. He realized what I was about to do.

I glared at him.
"Oh hell no. I'm not letting you escape again," I snapped.

I began to chase him and he picked up speed. If I didn't do something, I'd lose him. I took a deep breath and leapt into the air. I landed right on Tyrian. I heard something snap and Tyrian cry out in pain.

I looked down and saw that his ankle was bent in an unnatural way.

"Goddammit!" he cursed. "My ankle!"

"Next time, don't run," I told him.

I then grabbed his stringer before he could move and I cut it off using my heated up blade.
Tyrian yelled and screamed in more pain. I tossed the removed stinger off of the cliff.

Tyrian managed at get to his feet and began to limp away. I let him go.

"Coward," I mumbled.

I noticed I was near Summer's grave. I walked up to it and knelt down.

"Hey, Summ," I said, tears rolling down my face. "I got Tyrian for you. He shouldn't be a problem for a while."

I continued to stare at her grave as my tears fell, creating little dark spots where they were hitting the gravestone.

"I miss you, you know," I croaked out. "Tai and the girls miss you too. It's not the same without you here, Summer. I wish you were back. I'd give anything to hear your voice again..."

I closed my eyes as more tears fell.

"...Qrow?" a velvety soft voice asked.