Chapter 50: Taiyang

Summer's mood didn't seem to change much since she settled into the house, which didn't surprise me. Raven was moody too when she was pregnant with Yang.

"Hey Summer? Could you take care of Yang while I grade these tests? This really needs to get done by tonight," I told her.

"Oh. Sure. I guess I could watch her for a little while," she said, heading towards the living room where Yang was.

I went back to the kitchen where I had my laptop open. I was around halfway done grading them. It would take me at least another hour to finish the rest.

"Tai?" I heard Summer call from the living room.

"Yeah?"

"I think Yang is hungry. Do you have a bottle in the kitchen?"

I glanced over to the counter to where one of the bottles was standing.
"There's one in here. I'll fill it up for you," I said, getting from my seat and grabbing the bottle.

Summer walked in just then.
"Are you sure?" she asked. "What about those tests you need to grade?"

I unscrewed the cap and filled it about halfway with water.
"It's really no problem, Summer," I told her, grabbing Yang's formula from the pantry. After it was well mixed with the water, I handed it to Summer.
"That should fill her until lunchtime."

Summer took the bottle and went back to the living room as I resumed grading. Things were peaceful for a brief time, and then Yang's piercing cries were heard echoing throughout the house once again.

"I don't understand. I fed her and she was fine," Summer said, as she was carrying Yang into the kitchen.

"Here," I said, stretching my arms out, "I'll take her. Sometimes she just needs me to hold her for a while."

"If you want, I could grade the tests you have left," Summer said.

"Oh. You don't have to, you know."

"I know. But it's the least I could do. And they do need to be done by today, right? It's really not a problem," she told me.

I nodded. "Okay. If you really want to help, I suppose you could grade what I have left. I'll be in the living room if you need anything."

I carried Yang to the living room. She was still wailing away.

"It's okay now. Daddy is right here," I cooed at her.

Her cries slowly began to subside and she smiled brightly at me. Her purple irises looked upwards at me.

"Hi there. Looks like you're feeling a lot better," I told her.

I sighed.
Why wasn't Raven here? She should be seeing this.

I guess Yang could tell my mood had gone a down a bit. She touched my hand softly and smiled upwards at me again. I couldn't help but smile back.

"You really are a cutie," I said, nuzzling her gently. "Boys better watch out."

Yang shrieked in delight and giggled. She had Raven's smile. And her laugh sounded a bit like Raven's too.

I sighed again.
These memories aren't just going to go away, are they? Great...

I looked back at Yang and forced myself to smile. "It's nothing, sunny little dragon. Daddy is just a bit stressed. That's all."

Yang smile got wider. She really did look like Raven.

I played with her for about half an hour, when she became a bit tired. I scooped her into my arms and kissed her cheek.

"Come on, little one. Let's go see how Summer is doing with those tests."

She said nothing as she laid her head against my neck as I walked into the kitchen.