Chapter 63: Raven

"How do I look?" Summer asked as she spun around. Her hair was a beautiful golden blonde.

"You look great, Summer... er, I mean Violet," I told her. "Sorry. I'm still getting used to the name change."

"It's alright. To be honest, I'm still getting used to it too."

"Should we head back to the hotel?" I asked. "It's getting late."

"Oh come on," she said. "Let's visit this town while we're here. I want to check out the weapons shop not to far from here."

"I don't really want—"

"I'll wait for you there. Bye!" she said, running towards the shop.

"Summer, wait!" I yelled.

But she was already across the street, heading inside the weapons shop.

"Dammit," I growled.

I ran quickly across the street after her.
The weapons shop was bigger than I thought. Summer was probably lost inside here somewhere. And I had to find her.
After about thirty minutes, I felt someone jump upon my back.

"You came!" Summer exclaimed.

"Yeah. Could you please get off of me?" I asked.

Summer instantly let go.
"I'm sorry," she said, "I got a bit too excited I guess. Now let's see what weapons they have for sale!"

Great, I thought.

I watched as she gazed at the numerous weapons. Her eyes laid on a silver sword.

"Hello young lady, how may I help you?" the sale's clerk asked.

"Hoe much is this silver sword? It looks cool!" Summer said.

"Ah yes, that is a silver sword. Silver is a pure metal well-known to hurt Grimm. It cost about five thousand Lien."

"We'll take it," I told him, shoving the money towards him.

Summer turned to me. "Are you sure? You don't have to—"

"I'm sure. It's the least I could do," I told her.

"Thank you, Raven!" she said, hugging onto my arm tightly.

I looked at her. "Could you please let go?"

She quickly let go of my arm and took her silver sword.
"Thank you, sir. We appreciate it," she told the sales clerk.

I grabbed her wrist and pulled her out of the shop.
"How many times must I tell you? You have to lay low for a bit. Salem is looking for you," I hissed.

"I know. I'm sorry. I guess I just—"

Before she could finish her sentence, someone ran into her from behind. Summer went tumbling to the ground.

"Ouch!" she cried.

The girl who had run into her backed up a bit.
"I...I'm sorry," she whispered quietly.

Summer got to her feet.
"It's okay. What's your name?"

I reached for her wrist, but she quickly moved out of my reach.

"I really think we should—"

"My name is Zinnia Dahlia," the girl said, interrupting me. "What about you?"

"I'm Violet," Summer told her. "This is my friend, Raven. We're new in Vacuo."

Zinnia smiled. "I could show you around. I've lived here all my life. So I know Vacuo like the back of my hand. Here, I'll give you my scroll number. I can't help but notice your weapons. Are you a huntresses?"

Summer nodded. "Yes, we are."

"Awesome! I wanted to be a huntress, but fate had other plans for me," Zinnia said.

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

She quickly looked away. "I'm sorry, it's getting late. I should go. It was nice meeting you both. Oh, here's my scroll number."

She quickly took Summer's scroll and put her number in.
"If you get lost or something, call me," she told her. "I guess I'll see you around. Bye!"

Summer and I watched as she ran off into the distance.

I glared over at Summer.
"Why did you have to make friends with that girl? I told you to lay low!"

Summer sighed. "I'm sorry okay? And what's wrong with making a new friend? Zinnia seems pretty nice. Plus she knows Vacuo well. We could need her help one day."

I sighed. She did have a point.

"Fine. I'm going to fly around Vacuo for a bit. I'll see you later at the hotel," I told her.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"I just told you. I'll see you later," I said, transforming into my corvid form.

There was something about Zinnia that I found odd. I wasn't sure what it was, but I was determined to find out. She was more than she seemed. I knew it.

And if she had any alternative motives, I would found out before Summer. And I would protect her from anyone.

I landed in a tree and watched as Zinnia walked below. Then a pack of Beowolves appeared.

How will she fight all of them off? She has no weapons on her, I thought.

I prepared myself to land, when I noticed Zinnia's eyes stared to glow green. Then a bolt of lightning hit one of the Beowolves. The other Beowolves got the message and ran off towards the forest in the distance.

...So that was why Zinnia stuck me as odd. She was a maiden like me. I guess you didn't really need a weapon to fight Grimm when you could use magic instead.

I flew out of the tree and towards the hotel to find Summer. We needed to have a talk about her new friend.