Chapter 23: Raven

Tai was gone when I awoke the next morning. I could hear some things being moved around somewhere downstairs. It sounded like Tai was already awake. I groaned and rubbed my eyes.

"How does he get up so damn early?" I asked myself as I sat up.

I sighed and got out of bed. I quickly slipped on my boots and made my way downstairs. I saw Tai in the kitchen cooking something.

"Tai? Do you know how early it is?" I asked him, a little annoyed.

Tai turned away from the stove top and smiled at me. "Morning, Raven. I'm making some breakfast if you want any."

I stood there for a moment. I was feeling a bit hungry.

"Okay," I said, walking towards the table. I sat down and watched Tai cook. It looked like he was cooking eggs, bacon and hash brown potatoes. All of it smelled wonderful, making my stomach growl.

"That smells so delicious, Tai. You really are a great cook," I told him.

"I'd like to think I'm just average," he replied.

"Oh, and don't forget that you have your appointment today."

"When did you make the appointment?" I asked.

"Early this morning. I was able to get you in around noon."

"...Fine. I just want to get it over with."

Tai turned to look at me. "You don't sound too excited."

"I'm not. I hate hospitals."

Tai smiled. "Well, I'll be with you the whole time, so there's no need to worry."

He turned away for a moment and put some food on a plate before handing it to me.
"Maybe a nice breakfast will help?"

I took the plate and ate a few bites. It was all really good.

Tai fixed his own plate and joined me. We are in silence for a few minutes before Tai asked me a question.

"So, why do you hate hospitals?"

"I don't know. I guess because they're filled with sick people. I don't want to catch anything."

Tai sighed. "I'm sure you'll be fine. If you do end up catching something, we can just go to the doctor or get some medicine."

"I guess. Are you nervous at all?"

Tai shook his head. "Not really. To be honest, I'm more excited than anything. We get to see our child for the first time."

"There won't be much to look at," I pointed out.

Tai sighed. "You can be a real smart-ass, Raven."

I said nothing and continued to eat. After about thirty minutes, Tai had finished and excused himself to get ready. I mainly stayed downstairs and watched the news for about an hour until Tai came down the stairs.

"Ready to go?" he asked me.

"Not really," I mumbled.

Tai chuckled and opened the front door for me. He followed after me and unlocked the car. I was silent as we drove down the road.

"Should I turn on the radio or something?" I heard Tai ask.

I shook my head. "No thanks. I like quiet."

After a moment of silence passed between us.
"So... what exactly is going to happen during this appointment?" I asked him.

"It's just a routine ultrasound. They'll probably check for the baby's heartbeat and other things. It shouldn't take too long. And I'm sorry I made the appointment without telling you. I was worried you wouldn't agree to go."