Chapter 72: Qrow

When I arrived at Tai's, I found him laying on the ground.

Tyrian was gone.

"Tai! Tai are you okay?" I asked, running to him and kneeling by his side.

He rolled over on his side and moaned before coughing up some blood. His face was pale and sweaty. He didn't look good.

I carefully picked him up and carried him all the way to the medical clinic. The doctors and nurses got to work quickly and moved Tai into a room. I had to wait outside until they got the poison fully removed. Once that was done, he was moved into recovery.

I poked my head in the room to see how he was doing.
"Knock knock," I said, peering into the room.

Tai moaned and slowly opened his eyes.
"Qrow.... is that you?" he asked, his voice sounded raspy.

I took a seat next to him and placed my hand on his shoulder.
"Yeah, it's me," I told him. "I'm glad you're finally awake. I was starting to worry about you."

Tai smiled weakly. "There's nothing to worry about. I feel okay now."

Tai did his best to get up, but I held him down.

"Hey! What are you doing?" he asked.

"I don't think getting out of bed is the wisest choice. You were just attacked and poisoned by a scorpion Faunus! At least stay here for a little while longer to make sure everything is alright."

Tai sighed in defeat. "...Okay, fine. I'll stay here for a few more days. Would that make you happy?"

I smiled a little. "Yes. Thank you."

Tai laid back down and I sat back down.

"...I wish Summer would come back. I miss her," Tai whispered.

I sighed. Hearing her name was like someone stabbing a dagger through my chest... but I wasn't going to show any signs of weakness. At least not when Tai needed me.

"Yeah," I said, "I wish she would come back too. But it doesn't look like she will. Might as well accept it..."

"So now you're just going to give up? Qrow, this is the woman you're in love with. Surely you must feel some desire to have her back."

"I'm not giving up, Tai. It's just that I've come to the realization that Summer may not come back. I've learned to accept it. ....Haven't you?"

Tai glared at me. "No! I haven't! Summer is still out there somewhere. I know it. All I need to do is find her."

I rolled my eyes. "Tai... you have kids you need to take care of. It's bad enough they lost both of their mothers. You're all Yang and Ruby have in the world. If something were to happen to you, then they'll be all alone. Do you really want that?"

Tai thought for a moment. After a little while, he replied, "...No. I suppose not. I love Ruby and Yang with all I have in me. I couldn't bear it if something happened to them."

"Then you should focus on resting. I'll look after Yang and Ruby while you're in the hospital."

"I'd appreciate that," he said.

"There's no one watching them in that house. I hope Yang and Ruby didn't make a mess."

"I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. Anyway, I'll let you get some rest. I'll return to the house to look after them. I'll check up on you later, okay?"

Tai said nothing else as I made my way to the window. I changed into my corvid form and flew towards the direction of Tai's place. I landed in from of the door and I tried to turn the doorknob. To my surprise, the door was unlocked.

I found Yang and Ruby watched TV in the living room. Yang was munching on some apples while Ruby sat in her lap.

"Hey, kiddos. What are you up to?" I asked.

"Watching TV," Yang replied, not taking her eyes off the screen.
"Where's daddy?" she asked.

"He had to go to the hospital. But he should be fine soon. Don't worry."

"Oh. Okay," she replied, still munching on apple slices.

I took a seat next to Yang and she leaned her head against me. Ruby had fallen asleep, sleeping lightly against Yang. I gazed down at her. She really did look like Summer...
I smiled and stroked her hair gently. She cooed and giggled as I did so, making me smile in return. I took Ruby gently in my arms and rocked her gently. After a few minutes of this, she stretched and yawned.

"Looks like someone is ready for a nap," I said, smiling down at Ruby.

I saw that Yang was starting to yawn as well.
"You sound like you're ready for a nap too," I said to Yang.

Yang placed her spare apple slices on the table before she snuggled up to me. Holding Ruby my one arm and supporting Yang with the other, the three of us fell asleep right there on the couch.