Chapter 14: Taiyang

I tried my best to keep my mind occupied from Raven. I found myself thinking about her frequently. I couldn't comprehend why she thought what we did was a mistake. I thought we shared something special with one another, but I guess Raven didn't see it the way I did.

I sighed in frustration and walked into the kitchen. I still had the application for that teacher's assistant job sitting on the table. Maybe a job is what I needed. Missions were good with keeping my mind off things, but they weren't that long. I needed something more permanent. I sat down and contemplated things for several minutes. I wanted to get this teacher's assistant job, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel a bit hesitant. What if I couldn't teach well? There was also the chance the students wouldn't like me.

Suddenly, I felt my scroll vibrate. It could be Raven. We haven't talked since that night and I desperately wanted to check on her. I quickly got out my scroll to check the ID. My anticipation turned into disappointment when I saw Ozpin. I pressed the button to answer it.

"Hello, Professor. What can I do for you?" I asked.

"Hello, Tai. I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a mission for me."

I sat there silent for a moment. Going on a mission would certainly take my mind off things.

"Yeah, sure," I replied. "What is you were wanting me to do?"

"There's a small village outside of the kingdom that needs some Grimm clearing out. They also need assistance with fortifying their walls as well."

"So a search and destroy and village security. Got it. Could you send the coordinates?" I asked.

"I'm sending them to your scroll now. Good luck, Mister Xiao Long."

After the call ended, I received a message from Ozpin. It included the coordinates to the village as well as some other information. The village was called Wellfall. I don't have any recollection of hearing the name before. And judging by the coordinates, it seemed kind of far from the kingdom.

"No wonder I've never heard of this place," I muttered to myself.

I got together my essentials and headed out the door. After a few hours on a ferry and some walking, I finally found the village of Wellfall. It wasn't long after that trouble started. A Beowolf was trying to attack a defenseless young man. I sprinted up to him and pulled the Beowolf away from him. With a few quick punches, the Beowolf's skull cracked and disintegrated.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

He nodded, shaking a little. "Who exactly are you?"

"My name is Taiyang and I'm a huntsman. I was sent here to help you with the Grimm. I hear you also need help with fortifying too."

"You'd do that for us?"

"Of course. Always happy to help. I'll take care of the Grimm. Could you help the others get to safety until then?"

He nodded. "Of course. Be careful."

I nodded and went to fight off the rest of the Beowolves. There were about eight or nine in the area with some Nevermores circling over head. I made quick work of the Beowolves with a few hard punches and then got to work on the Nevermores. They were quick, but I managed to grab one of them. I slammed it into the other one and heard their armor shatter as they collided into one another. They disintegrated a few seconds later. I checked more of the area for Grimm and couldn't find any. Looked like the village was safe. I made my way to the same young villager to tell him the news.

The young man from before greeted me.
"That's was quick. You really know how to fight, don't you?" he asked.

I smiled. "I'd say so. How about we work on fortifying? If the Grimm show up again, that'll keep them at bay."

He nodded. "Sure, I'll lead the way to the supplies we have."

After a few hours, I got the main buildings fortified. Although, the material I had to work with wasn't the most durable, it would work. As long as the Grimm didn't get any stronger. The villagers thanked me and I went back to Patch. It was really late by the time I got back. I sat on the couch and got out my scroll. I went to my contacts list and found Raven. Knowing her, she was still up. I debated on calling her. After sitting there staring at the screen for several minutes, I pressed her scroll number and called. After waiting through several rings, it went to her voicemail.

"Hey Raven. I know you probably don't want to speak with me, so I decided to leave this voicemail. I'm sorry if I did anything that scared you off. I... just want you to know that I really do care about you a lot. More than I should. And... if you ever want to talk I'll be here."

I sighed and hung up. I was starting to get the feeling she would never speak with me again.