Chapter 33: Summer

I got to the mainland in Vale around sundown. I didn't really have a plan on where to visit first. I knew Beacon wasn't too far from here, and I had yet to report to Ozpin about Laurel... I was dreading telling him, but I needed to eventually. If I hurried, I could possibly make it before dusk.

After running to gain momentum, I used my semblance to gain even more speed. I had to stop to catch my breath a few times, but I managed to make it just before sundown, when there was still some light in the sky. I gazed up at Beacon Tower. The light in Ozpin's office was still on. I sighed and walked inside to the elevator. As I pressed the button and waited, my dread only grew. I had no idea how he would react to the news. Would he be angry and see me as a failure? Or would he be more understanding?

The sudden ding of the elevator snapped me out of my daze. I hesitated a bit, before stepping out and walking down the corridor that led to the door of Ozpin's office. I walked up to the buzzer and waited.

"Who is it?" I heard Ozpin ask.

"Um... it's Summer, Professor," I replied.

"Do come in, Summer. I've been wanting to talk with you."

I took a shaky breath before slowly turning the handle and opening the door. Ozpin looked up at me from the papers he was looking at.

"Ah, good evening, Miss Rose. It's been quite some time since we last met. I hope you've been well."

I did my best to smile. "As well as I can, sir. Actually... there's something I've been wanting to talk to you about."

"Of course. But I would like ask you something first, if that's alright."

I nodded. "Of course, Professor."

"I haven't heard from Laurel in several months, and I've grown quite worried. Perhaps you know where she might be? You were the last person in contact with her."

I looked down at the floor and was silent for a long time. I didn't now how to answer...

"Summer...?" Ozpin asked.

My head snapped up. "I'm sorry about that, Professor. Laurel is actually the reason I came to visit you. I... I'm not sure how to say this, so I guess I'll just tell you. Laurel is... dead."

Ozpin stared at me for several minutes.

"...I could've guessed. The fact that I haven't heard from her for months was already a terrible sign. But now you've confirmed it."

"I'm so sorry, sir! I did my best to protect her, I truly did! But Aleya was going to attack me and then Laurel..."

I couldn't finish. I had started to sob.
I heard Ozpin get up from his desk. A few moments later, I felt a hand gently rest on my shoulder.

"Summer... look at me."

I slowly rose my head and looked into his eyes.

"I want you to understand that what happened to Laurel isn't your fault. Yes, I sent you to protect her. But you're only one person, Summer. You won't be able to save everyone. No matter how much you may want to."

I took a shaky breath. "I think I understand. Thank you for being so understanding, Professor."

He smiled. "No problem at all, Miss Rose. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Not at the moment. Thank you for seeing me on such short notice. I think I'll head on out."

"Very well. Have a wonderful evening, Miss Rose. And please... do be careful."

"Of course, sir," I said.

With that, I left his office and took the elevator down to the first floor. It was completely dark outside now besides the moon giving off its soft light. Most places were closed by now.

"I guess I'll just have to wait until morning," I said to myself.

I caught the evening ferry and made it back to my apartment around ten o'clock. I was so exhausted I fell asleep as soon as my body hit my bed.

It was past noon when I woke up again. The sun was pretty high in the sky and the light was shining through the window. I got ready quickly and walked a few blocks until I reached my destination. A tiny jewelry store. I wanted to buy an engagement ring for Qrow.
I had been pondering about it for the past few months. I loved Qrow. There was no question there. And I could tell that he love me, too.
But did he love me enough to marry me?

"I guess I'll find out sooner or later for myself," I said quietly, as I walked up to the entrance and walked inside.

A women around her fifties looked up at me from the counter.

"Good afternoon! Can I help you find anything today?" she asked.

I smiled politely. "Hello. Um... I was wondering if you had any men's engagement rings?"

Her eyes widened. "Oh! I see. Who's the lucky fellow?"

I blushed. "His name is Qrow. He's really special to me."

"Well, I'm sure we can find something he'll like. I'll show you the men's rings we have to offer. Do you know his ring size?"

Dammit, I thought.

"I'm afraid I don't... but if it doesn't fit, we can just get a bigger size, right?" I asked, starting to panic a little.

She nodded and smiled. "Of course, dear. Now... I know we don't have a large collection of men's rings. People usually come in here looking for woman's jewelry, which is understandable. Hopefully there's something here you know he'll like."

I leaned forward a bit to get a closer look. Most of the rings didn't look all that appealing. But there was one that caught my eye. It was silver, and had a single black band in the center that looked like it was made from some sort of mineral or stone.

"What's this one?" I asked, pointing at it.

"That is a band made made from obsidian. Tungsten is the metal that's usually used with men's rings, but this ring is made from white gold. It'll be a bit more expensive," she explained.

I nodded. "Okay. How much is it?"

"Hm... I'd say around eight hundred Lien."

I brought out my wallet from my pocket and started collecting some Lien. But I was a few hundred short.

"It doesn't look like I have enough to pay at the moment. I could run to my place and get some more."

"How much do you have right now?" she asked.

"About six hundred Lien."

She shook her head. "That'll be just fine. Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

She smiled and nodded. "Of course! Just pay what you have. Life is too short to worry about small things."

I giggled a little. "I guess you have a point there. Thank you so much for doing this, ma'am."

I handed her the Lien and she put the ring in a small box before handing it to me.

"You have a nice day, dear," she said.

"Thanks! You too!" I said happily.

I walked out of the jewelry store and put the ring box in my pocket. It was too soon to propose to him now. Especially with all the stuff with Deacon going on. But I didn't have an issue with waiting a bit longer. I'd wait as long as it took if it meant I could be with Qrow...

I smiled. He had been right. I did need this little break. I was already feeling so much better than before.

"I'll have to thank him once I get back later," I said as I made my way back to my apartment.