Chapter 53: Summer

The first few weeks at Tai's weren't too bad. He started working overtime at Signal to earn a little more Lien, which left me alone with Yang. She was easy enough to handle. Except when she threw one of her fits. Which happened one morning as Tai was leaving for work.

"Does she usually have fits like this?" I asked, trying to talk over Yang's cries.

"Yeah. She hates it when I leave. Separation anxiety I guess," Tai said.

I held Yang closer to my chest and cooed, "It's okay, little one. I promise to take care of you while your daddy is away."

Yang's cries slowly subsided to my surprise.

"Wow. Looks like you're a natural Summer. Are you excited to become a parent?" he asked.

"Well, I'm already getting enough experience taking care of Yang. And I already see her as my daughter."

"Thanks for helping out with her, Summer. I don't what I would've done."

I smiled at him. "It's really not a problem. You should head to work before you're late. It's already almost eight o'clock."

His eyes widened. "Dammit, I didn't know it was so late! I'll be back around three today. Will you be okay taking care of Yang?"

I nodded and replied, "Of course. You go ahead to work. Don't worry about us. I'll see you when you get off."

Tai nodded. "See you."

Then he was gone out the door.

Yang started whimpering and was soon crying again. I started to rock her gently.

"Shhh... it's alright," I cooed. "Daddy will be home soon, okay?"

After a few minutes of rocking and cooed softly at her, she eventually fell asleep. I smiled and placed her in her bassinet.

Then there was a knock on the door.
I walked over and opened it. To my surprise, Qrow stood at the doorway.

"Qrow? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I came to check in on you. And little Yang of course," he said.

I moved aside to let him in. He walked inside and looked over at Yang, who was already sleeping in her bassinet.

"She looks so peaceful when she's sleeping," Qrow said.

"Yes. She was throwing a fit earlier because she didn't want Tai to leave for work."

We both chuckled for a moment before things got silent again. Qrow walked over to the couch and sat down. I went over to join him. I took his hand gently.

"I miss you, you know," I told him.

He looked over towards me.
"I miss you too, Summer. But we can't be together anymore. You know that."

"Then why are you here?" I asked him.

"To check on you. Just because we are no long together, doesn't mean I don't care about you. I love you to death, Summer," he said.

I felt my eyes start to sting a little.
"I love you too," I chocked out.

I soon started to sob. Qrow held me as I cried. Not being around him hurt, but seeing him hurt me even more... Knowing that we couldn't ever be together again.

He held me like that for what seemed like ages. I eventually stopped my crying. I didn't have the energy to cry any more. I guess my crying woke Yang up, because soon enough she started to cry too.

"I got her," Qrow said.

"Are you sure? I can help," I offered.

"I'm sure. Just relax, I'll get her a bottle. Is she hungry?"

I nodded. "Probably. She hasn't had lunch yet."

"Okay. I'll get started making her bottle. The formula is in the cabinet, isn't it?"

"Yes it is," I said.

I watched as he disappeared into the kitchen. A few moments later, he was holding a bottle of baby formula. He walked over to Yang in her bassinet and smiled at her.

"Hey there, kiddo," he said. "Ready for some lunch?"

I watched as he sat the bottle down and scooped up Yang. He sat on the chair and started to rock her gently. He reached over to grab the bottle and started to feed her. She had completely stopped crying. It looked like Qrow was a natural at this type of thing too, which was pleasant to see.

After he fed her, his scroll rang.
I watched as he brought it out of his pocket and checked the ID.

He looked over to me.
"It's Oz," he said.

"Well? Don't keep him waiting. Answer it," I told him.
I took Yang from his arms as he answered the call.

"Hello? Yes, I should be free those days. A search and rescue mission? Sure I can do one. Okay. I'll see you later today. Bye."

I looked over at him. "Are you going on another mission?"

He nodded. "Yep. Apparently a girl went missing a few weeks ago. I told Oz I'd handle it."

"Oh. Well, please be careful," I said. "I'd hate for something to happen to you."

"It'll take a lot more than a simple search and rescue mission to take me down. You can bet on that," he said.

I couldn't help but giggle a little.

"Anyway, I'd love to stay longer, but I got a meeting with Oz about this mission. I'll be sure to drop by again as soon as I can," he told me, heading towards the front door.

"Oh. Please stay safe," I said.

He smiled at me. "I plan on it."

I got up from the couch and walked over to him. I kissed his cheek gently.
"Thank you for visiting me today," I whispered in his ear.

"It's really no problem," he said, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

"Well, I appreciate it. Stay safe."

Then he disappeared out the door, leaving me and Yang alone.