Chapter 20: Qrow

I waited anxiously for Summer's return. I was about to leave to go look for her, when she suddenly opened the door. She was breathing heavily and carried Deacon in her arms. He was nearly her size and I could tell she was having a hard time carrying him.

"I got him, " I said, holding out my arms.

She handed him to me and I gently laid him on the couch.

"I'm sorry it took me so long," she said out of breath.

I went over to her and kissed her gently. "Don't worry about it. I'm just thankful you're safe. What happened out there?"

"I'm... not entirely sure. I ran into a Grimm that I've never seen before. It had huge wings and it nearly looked humanlike. It also had this mysterious power."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It's eyes shot out this darkness... I'm not really sure what it was exactly. But it affected my eyes somehow and made my powers weaker. It also shot out this fire that caused me incredible pain. I think I would've gotten seriously hurt if Deke hadn't shown up."

"Sounds like Deacon really saved the day," I said, looking down at him. He was still passed out, and it didn't look like he was going to wake up any time soon.

"Yeah... I wonder how he did that?"

"What did he do exactly?"

"He punched that Grimm in its skull and it shattered instantly. He must be pretty strong if he's able to do that."

I thought for a moment. "Maybe that was his semblance you saw earlier? He's not usually that strong when we train together."

"Maybe. I'm still uneasy about this situation. Grimm that strong shouldn't be here. I think Salem knows where I am. If she does, it's only a matter of time before she'll find Deacon too. Gods... I don't even want to think about what she'd do to him."

Summer sat next to Deacon and ran her fingers through his hair gently.

"Do you think we should relocate?" I asked.
"It sounds like things could get dangerous."

Summer sighed. "I don't know. I would hate to take Deacon somewhere else. This place is basically home to him..."

"Yeah... let's just stay here for now. I'll accompany you during your patrols so you won't be by yourself."

"What about Deacon? We can't just leave him alone."

"He can take care of himself, Summer. I think he's demonstrated that already."

Before she could respond, I felt my scroll vibrate. I took it out curiously. I wasn't expecting any calls. I was even more confused when I saw Raven's face on the ID. What could she possibly want?

I pressed the button and answered.
"Hello?"

"We need to talk, Qrow," Raven said on the other line.

"Okay. About what?"

"Um... it's kind of important. Can we meet in person? I could make a portal if you want."

"No," I said quickly. "That won't be necessary. Why can't you just tell me over the scroll?"

"I guess I could, but I'd prefer to tell you in person."

I sighed. "Just tell me Raven. If it's important news, then I should know. I can't meet you right now because I'm busy with a mission Oz sent me on."

There was a brief silence before Raven spoke again.
"Fine. I'm not sure how to say this, but... I'm pregnant."

"WHAT?!" I yelled.

I must've yelled too loud. Deacon jolted awake and Summer turned her head to look at me.

"What's going on?" she asked.

I didn't answer her as I continued.
"Whose is it?" I demanded. "I swear to the Gods I'll kick his ass!"

"Calm down. It's Tai's. This is why I wanted to—"

"I'll be there in fifteen minutes," I told her.

"What? But—"

I hung up before she finished and rushed towards the door.

"Uncle? Where are you going?" I heard Deke ask.

I turned to him and did my best to smile. "I'll be back in a bit, Deke. There's something I need to take care of. Watch over him, Summer."

"When will you be back?" she asked.

"Hopefully soon. Stay safe, okay?"

I ran out the door and transformed into my corvid form. Patch was several miles away and I could get there faster if I used flight. I reached Tai's house around sundown and landed just outside the front door. Before I could knock, I heard a voice greet me.

"Hey, Qrow. I haven't seen you in a while."

I turned around swiftly and saw Tai standing behind me. He held a watering can in his hands as well as some fertilizer.

"Sorry if my hands are full. I'll just put these down and let you in. I assume you're here for your sister?"

I watched as he laid the watering can and fertilizer by a tree.

"No," I said. "I'm actually here to see you."

He stopped abruptly. "Really? Why?"

I glared at him. "Because I just got a call from my sister. And she had some... interesting news to share."

Tai's eyes widened and he started to back up.
"Um... when did she tell you she was pregnant?" he asked.

"Earlier today. I hope you're ready to have your ass kicked. How dare you knock up my sister?!"

I threw a punch at him and hit him in the chest. He slid back a few feet, but he remained standing.

"Qrow... could you give a second to explain?" he pleaded.

I continued to walk toward him until I heard the front door open.

"Qrow! Stop!"

Raven ran in front of me to block my way.

"Get out of my way, Raven," I snapped.

"No," she said. "There's no reason to hurt Tai. This... this is my fault."

I stared at her. "What do you mean?"

"I showed up at Tai's several weeks ago drunk. One thing led to another and..."

Her voice trailed off as she looked down at the ground.

"Qrow," Tai said, "I'm not sure if this will make you feel any better, but I promise to be there for Raven. And you can visit your future nephew or niece whenever you want. Summer can too, of course."

I took a deep breath to calm myself. "Yeah... okay. I'm sorry I attacked you like that. I guess I overreacted a little."

Tai smiled. "Don't worry about it. Do you want to join us for dinner? We'd love to have you."

I shook my head. "I can't. I have other things to take care of, so I should probably get going. Sorry for stopping by like this. Congratulations and all that."

"I can make a portal to Summer if you want," Raven suggested.

"I think that would be easier. It would save time, too. Thanks."

Raven nodded and sliced the air with her sword, creating a portal.

"Stay safe," she said.

I nodded and walked through the portal.