Chapter 58: Taiyang

I was careful as I wrapped Ruby in her blanket and sat her in the bassinet. She was sleeping peacefully. And was really adorable. She had a lot of Summer's features. Like her silver eyes.

I turned as I started to hear Ruby whine. She was squirming in her blanket and was looking more and more agitated.

I picked her up gently.
"What's wrong, little one?" I cooed at her.

She continued to cry and whine in my arms. I heard the sound of little feet behind me.

"What's wrong with sissy?" I heard Yang ask.

I turned to her and said, "Your sister probably wants mommy. She should be home any minute now."

As if on cue, I heard the door open.
"I'm home from my mission!" I heard Summer yell from downstairs.

Carrying Ruby, I walked downstairs to greet Summer.
"Hey Summ," I said. "How'd the mission go?"

She sighed and ran her fingers through her hair.
"Longer than I expected. But I'm glad to be home now. Oh. What's wrong with Ruby?"

Ruby was still whining and crying in my arms. Her tiny hands kept reaching and grabbing at Summer.

"I think she just wants her mommy," I said, holding out Ruby to her. She took her in her arms and started to rock her gently.

"Shh... it's okay my precious baby. Mommy's got you now," she cooed quietly.

After a few minutes, Ruby had stopped crying.

"Wow... that's amazing Summer," I said.

Summer laughed. "Thanks. Sometimes all a child needs is a mother's touch."

Yang ran up to Summer.
"Mommy you're home!" she said. "Can we play? Please?"

Summer smiled and replied, "Maybe soon. I need to put Ruby in her bassinet first, okay?"
Summer walked upstairs, leaving me alone with Yang.

"Daddy?" Yang asked.

"Yes?"

"Why is mommy gone sometimes? She never tells me where she's gone. Where does she go?"

I smiled. "Well, mommy is a huntress. She's a brave fighter who goes on missions to beat bad guys."

Yang looked up at me and grinned. "That's cool! Can I be a huntress too?"

I ruffled her hair. "Maybe when you're older. Now go play with your toys for a bit okay? Daddy has some papers that need grading."

Yang giggled and ran up the stairs, leaving me alone. I made my way to the kitchen where the stack of ungraded papers were.

"This is going to be a long afternoon," I sighed, as I sat down to start grading.

I was about halfway through when Yang came running in the kitchen.

"Daddy, I'm hungry," she said.

I got up from my seat. "What would you like for lunch today?"

"Can I have a peanut butter sandwich?"

I smiled. "Sure, sweetheart. Let me go make it for you."

I went to the counter and got two pieces of bread. I slathered some peanut butter on one slice and put the other slice of bread on top to make the sandwich. I put it on a plate before placing it on the table. I picked up Yang and placed her in her high chair so she could eat.

"Would you like some juice, too?" I asked her.

"Yes, please," Yang said happily.

I grabbed a cup from the cupboard and got out Yang's favorite juice, pineapple. I poured some in a glass and placed a lid with a straw on top.

"Here you go," I said, handing her the cup of juice.

She took the cup in her hands and smiled.
"Thank you daddy," she said.

I kissed her head gently.
"You're welcome, my sunny little dragon," I told her.

I went back to my seat and resumed my work, while Yang munched on her sandwich and sipped her juice. Summer was no doubt upstairs caring for Ruby. I couldn't help but smile. My family was complete it felt like.

Summer was a much bigger help than I thought she would be. And I was grateful she had chosen to help me with Yang. I only hope I was returning the favor to her.