Chapter 15: Raven

The next few weeks were a bit strange for me. I found myself getting more distracted, which wasn't something that normally happened. I could usually focus until I got a job finished. I've noticed that I had began to remember things about that night I stayed over at Tai's. These memories usually triggered in my sleep. I would dream that I was still at his place, laying in his bed. His fingers lightly traced my back, causing me to shiver in delight. He treated me better than I had treated him. He didn't deserve any of that. I paced in my tent a bit. Tai had sent me a voice mail a few days ago. I hadn't called him back yet. He really did seem to care about me. I sighed and grabbed my scroll from my bed. I stared at Tai's face in the contacts list as I debated calling him. I decided against it and put my scroll in my pocket. I grabbed a small briefcase I had and packed a few things. I walked outside my tent and met with my grandfather in the main tent.

"Leader?" I asked.

He looked up at me from sharpening his blade. "Yes, Raven? Is there something you need from me?"

I shook my head. "No. I just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving to go on another mission again."

He stared at me. "Didn't you just return from a mission?"

"I did, but this one is longer. I'll be gone for quite some time, but I'll return with more Lien for us."

"Very well. You may take your leave."

I nodded and left the tent quickly. I summoned a portal to Tai and walked into it. I few moments later, I found myself at his front porch. I could hear the faint sound of the TV, so I assumed he was home. I knocked on the door a few times and waited. Tai opened the door a few minutes later.

"Raven? What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I wanted to apologize for how I treated you that night I stayed over. You didn't deserve it. Especially since you were so kind and caring towards me. I also got your voicemail. I figured I'd apologize to you in person instead of calling you. Anyway... I'm sorry."

Tai stood there in silence for a moment before closing the distance and wrapping his arms around me.

"I'm just happy to see you again," he said in my ear.

I smiled and hugged him back.
"Um... do you mind if I come in for a bit?" I asked.

Tai smiled. "Sure."

I stepped inside and followed him into the kitchen. He poured some tea in a cup and handed it to me.

"Sorry I dropped by like this. I should've called first," I said quietly.

"It's okay. It's not like I'm busy doing anything. I've been on a mission, but that's it. So... how have you been?"

"Okay, I suppose. I've... started to remember things from that night. I've even had dreams about it."

Tai blushed a bit. "Really?"

Seeing him blush made my face warm.
"Yeah. I've also been feeling tired lately. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"Maybe you need some rest? It seems like you've been suffering from stress lately," Tai said.

I sipped my tea. "I'll try to get some tonight. Speaking of... can I stay here for a few days? I need some time away from my tribe."

Tai laughed. "I thought all you wanted to to do was be with your tribe."

I glared at him. "Not funny."

Tai held his hands up and said, "Okay okay. I'll fix up the spare bedroom for you."

"Thank you," I replied.

Tai stood up and left the kitchen, leaving me alone. I noticed a sheet of paper sitting on the table, I picked it up to examine it. It was an application to Signal Academy. Apparently, they were looking for someone to be a teacher's assistant with hand to hand combat skills. Tai had filled out the entire thing, but why was it still here? There was a deadline coming up next week. It wasn't like Tai to wait like this.

I heard the sound of his footsteps and I quickly put down the application.

"The spare bedroom is set up. You can rest as much as you want now," he said.

"Thanks. Hey, I saw you filled out an application for Signal. Why haven't you sent it in yet?"

Tai stopped in his tracks.
"I don't know... I'm nervous."

"Why?"

"What if I'm not good at this kind of thing? I've never had to teach before."

I rose from my seat and hugged him. "Don't worry about that. It's not like you'll be teaching a class. You'll just be helping the teacher out with papers and things like that. I think you should at least give it a chance. You might enjoy it and want to become a teacher one day."

Tai smiled at me and hugged me back. "Thanks, Raven."

We held each other like that for a few minutes. I yawned and Tai laughed a little.

"Looks like someone is tired. Why don't you go upstairs and rest? I'll be sure to make you something to eat once you wake up."

I nodded and kissed his cheek.
"I think I will. I can't think you enough for this."

I took my things and made my way upstairs to the spare bedroom. As soon as I laid down, my eyes closed and I was fast asleep.