Chapter 8: Qrow

"Qrow! Wake up!"

My eyes opened slowly to Summer's bright silver eyes looking into mine. She was smiling from ear to ear.

"What time is it?" I asked, still a little tired.

She kissed my lips. "It's time for our mission! I said we were leaving first thing, remember?"

Summer got out of bed and stretched a bit.
I sat up slowly and gazed at the time. It was half past seven. I knew Summer was an early bird, but damn. I yawned and slowly got out of bed.

"So... when are we heading out?" I asked.

"As soon as we get changed. I've already gotten everything packed and ready to go," she replied.

I signed and couldn't help but smile. "Of curse you have. I'll get changed real quick."

Summer nodded. "I'll be in the bathroom getting ready."

She left the room, leaving me alone to change. I quickly picked out my usual clothing and used a comb to brush my hair, trying to make myself at least somewhat decent. My weapon was leaning against the wall. I grabbed it and left the bedroom to find Summer.
She was waiting for me by the door with a bag hung over her shoulder.

"Ready to go?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Do you know where we're headed?"

She smiled and nodded. "Oz sent the coordinates to me earlier. We're headed to Moutain Glenn."

"That abandoned city? Yeah, I know where that place is."

"Yeah. It shouldn't be too complicated to find. Although we're going to have to hitchhike there. I... can't really afford any transportation right now," she whispered, looking down. She seemed ashamed of herself.

I hugged her. "That's perfectly fine, Summer. Besides, we've hitchhiked before."

"I know... I just wish I could—"

I kissed her gently. "Don't worry about it, okay? Let's just head to the docks and get to Mountain Glenn."

Summer nodded and we headed out. After a short ferry ride later, we arrived at the industrial coast of Vale.

"Okay...according to the map, Moutain Glenn is several miles from here. If we keep up a quick pace, we can get there by sundown most likely," Summer said.

"Got it. Lead the way, partner," I replied.

She smiled and began walking towards the east. I followed her for several hours until we finally arrived at an abandoned city.

"This looks familiar. I think I've seen a few pictures from our history class," I said.

Summer grinned. "You actually paid attention in class? I'm impressed!"

I couldn't resist smiling back. "So... should we start searching around?"

Summer was about to respond, but was cut off by a loud roar followed by the sound of a sword slashing.

"That sounded pretty close. Come on."

She grabbed my wrist and lead me towards the source of the noise. We found the couple whom we were looking for, and they were fighting a group of Death Stalkers.

Before we could step in and act, one of the Death Stalker's stingers stung Della's chest. Blood shot from the wound and she collapsed to the ground.

"Della! NO!" Damien yelled.

He tried slashing at one of the Death Stalkers, but his sword bounced off and shattered into several pieces.

"Dammit," he muttered.

I took this opportunity to leap into action. I jumped in front his him, trying to use my body to shield him. Granted, I couldn't shield much because he was about two feet taller than me.

"Who are you?" he demanded.

"Doesn't matter. I'm here to help you," I replied quickly, activating my scythe. I started working on the Death Stalker that attacked and killed Della. With a few quick slashes, I took it down. Just as I turned to look at Damien, I saw a second Death Stalker about to sting him. I was about to fight it off, but it quickly grabbed Damien by his throat and started to strangle him.

"Get OFF!" I shouted as I charged at the Death Stalker. With a quick slash of my scythe, the Death Stalker was gone. I turned to look at Damien. He was kneeling on the ground, clutching his throat. I also noticed blood gushing from an abdominal wound he had likely gotten earlier. Summer and I ran to him and knelt by his side.

"My... my," he choked out.

I put my hand on his shoulder.
"It'll be alright. My partner and I will tend to your wounds."

As I was about to rise to my feet, I felt his weak and trembling hand take my wrist.

"Please... I don't have much time left. My... my son, Deacon, is hiding somewhere near here. Please... find him for me."

I turned to Summer. "Go. Find Deacon and make sure he's safe. I'll try to help Damien."

She nodded and ran off north. I had Damien lay on his side and started looking at his wounds. Most of them looked pretty serious...
His breathing began to slow down and I watched as he looked into my eyes.

"Please... take care of my son. And I beg of you... do not tell Ozpin," he whispered.

His eyes closed and his breathing stopped. I started to panic a bit and felt for a pulse, but I felt nothing.

"Qrow," a voice said behind me.

I rose to my feet and saw Summer.

"Did you find Deacon?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yes. How is...?"

Her voice trailed off as her eyes gazed at Damien's motionless body.
"Oh," she whispered.

"Where's Deacon?"

"He's fine, but he's not coming out of his hiding place."

"I'll handle the bodies. You keep talking with Deacon. He'll probably be more trusting of you than me," I said.

"Are you... going to burry them?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Probably. I'll also hang onto Della's hammer. Deacon might want it one day."

"Good idea. Keep the broken sword as well. I'll try to get Deacon to come with me. It looks like we're going to stay here a little while longer."

I sighed. "It looks like it. I'll meet you around this spot later."

She nodded and ran off again.

"Time to get to work," I muttered.