Chapter 18: Taiyang

Raven ended up sleeping throughout the evening, so I didn't see her until next morning. I was in the kitchen making some breakfast when she slowly walked through the door.

"Morning, Raven," I greeted her. "You slept for such a long time that I was starting to worry. How are you feeling?"

She smiled weakly at me. "Still exhausted. What's that smell? It smells delicious."

"Pancakes. Would you like some breakfast?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I'd love some. I'm starving."

I couldn't help but smile as I put a few pancakes on a plate for her. She sat near the table and I laid the pancakes in front of her.

She smiled up at me, her eyes looked tired.
"Thank you," she said quietly.

"You're welcome," I told her.

She grabbed the maple syrup and drizzled it on her pancakes before taking a bite.
"These are really great, Tai," she said.

I blushed a little. "Thanks. Maybe it'll help wake you up."

She didn't respond as she continued to eat. I gazed out the window for a bit. The mail had yet to arrive. I still needed to mail off that application too... I turned back to Raven and noticed she had stopped eating. She was extremely quiet and hardly moved.

"Raven... are you okay?" I asked her.

She didn't say anything as she pressed her hand to her mouth and went sprinting out of the kitchen. I followed her as she ran into the bathroom and slammed the door. I felt a bit panicked as I knocked a few times.

"Raven?"

I could hear the sound of her puking violently. After a few minutes I heard her voice from the other side of the door.

"Go away, Tai," she snapped.

"I'm worried about you! Are you sick?"

I heard her throw up again before answering.
"What do you think, idiot?"

I put my hand on the doorknob.
"I'm coming in," I warned her.

I heard no protest, so I slowly opened the bathroom door and peeked inside.

Raven was on her knees, her face was pressed onto the toilet seat.
"I'm s-sorry," she stuttered.

I slowly walked up to her and knelt by her side. I wiped the few stands of hair from her clammy face. She didn't look good.

"You look sick," I said quietly.

"I know. I've been feeling nauseous for the last few days. I... I don't know what's wrong with me."

She gasped and turned to face the toilet bowl. Once again she heaved and puked. I did my best to keep her hair from her face, but I didn't help much. So I rubbed her back to comfort her.

This continued for about half an hour before I helped her up to her feet.
"Let's head to the living room," I suggested. "You need rest."

She nodded and quietly followed me out of the bathroom. We sat on the couch and were silent for a few minutes.

"I'm so sorry you had to see me like that," she whispered.

I took her hand and smiled.
"Don't worry about it. I'll take care of you if you're sick. Just try to relax, okay?"

Raven managed a small smile.
"Thank you. I appreciate it."

I was dreading on asking this question, but I had to be sure.

"Raven... is there a possibility that you're pregnant? You said you've been feeling sick for a few days. Could it be that you were experiencing morning sickness earlier?"

Raven looked down and said nothing.

"Raven? Talk to me," I begged.

"The dreams... feeling sick and being extra emotional. I... I think you might be right," she said, not lifting her head up.

I stared at her. Part of me hoped she had just caught the flu. If she was pregnant then... I would be a father.

"I think you should make an appointment to be sure. Or take a pregnancy test," I said.

She glared at me. "There's no way in hell I'm going to a hospital. You can buy me a test later today."

"Fine. But you're eventually going to have to go to a doctor if you are pregnant. To make sure everything is doing okay."

"You wanna bet on that?" she asked.

I sighed. I didn't feel like arguing with her.
"Look, I'm going to do a few errands. I'll buy you a pregnancy test on my way back home."

Raven glared at me. "Fine. I'll go with you I guess. It's not like I have anything better to do."

"Are you sure you want to go? You were sick just minutes ago," I said to her.

"I'll be fine. I'm not a child, Tai," she snapped at me.

"If you say so. I'll get my keys and we can head out."

I quickly grabbed my keys that were lying on the living room table and headed towards the door. Raven got to her feet and followed me outside.

"Maybe we can go to dinner?" I suggested.

Raven was still glaring at me, but her lips were slightly curved into a smile.

"I'll think about it," she replied.

"It's a date then."