Chapter 25: Summer

It was late at night when I arrived at Beacon. I walked inside quietly, careful not to wake anyone who might be sleeping. I stepped into the elevator and pressed the button that would take me to Ozpin's office. Once I was at the top floor, I pressed the buzzer that was next to the door. After a moment, I heard Ozpin's voice.

"Who is it?" he asked.

"It's Summer, Professor. Could I come in and talk with you? It's kind of urgent."

"Of course. Come in," he invited.

I walked inside slowly towards his desk.
"I'm sorry to disturb you," I told him.

He smiled warmly. "That's quite alright, Miss Rose. Now... what was it that you wanted to discuss?"

I took a deep breath before continuing.
"Well I was wondering if you knew where Laurel was at the moment. I... may have had a disturbing vision about her."

Ozpin leaned forward. "And what happened during this vision?"

"Laurel was murdered by Aleya and she ended up with the maiden powers. I want to find Laurel and make sure she's okay before Aleya hurts her. Or worse."

Ozpin was quiet for several moments.
"I see. Very well then. I'll send you to check on her. She should be in the vault looking after the relic. If what you say is true, then we can't risk anything. Especially losing a maiden. There's no telling what could happen if one of Salem's followers attained their powers."

I nodded. "I completely agree, sir. I'll head to the vault strait away. Is there anything I need to do to get inside?"

Ozpin shook his head. "The vault should already be open. Please... be careful, Miss Rose."

I smiled at him. "Will do, Professor."

I quickly ran out the door and into the elevator. I pressed the button that had the lowest floor and waited. After a few moments, the elevator came to a stop and the doors opened. Before me was a long corridor and was dimly lit by candles that hung along the walls. The flames burned green, giving the entire hall a somewhat sinister look.
I slowly stepped out of the elevator and gazed around. Nothing else was in the corridor.

"Is the relic really in here? This seems like an odd place to keep an item that's supposed to be legendary," I said to myself.

After a few minutes, I reached a huge metal door. I slowly reached out my hand to grasp the handle, when it suddenly turned. I jumped back instantly and unsheathed my sword. The door slowly opened and I saw Laurel standing in the doorway.

"Summer? Why do you have your sword drawn? And why are you here?" she asked.

I swiftly sheathed my sword. "Sorry about that. Battle instincts, I guess. I'm here to check on you and make sure you're okay."

Laurel smiled. "Well, I'm doing fine. Now if you excuse me, I need to head outside the kingdom and look for any threats."

"Mind if I join you? I'll act as backup if you need it," I told her.

"Sure. I could use the company."

We walked together down the corridor and into the elevator.

"So," Laurel said, breaking the silence, "how's school going for your team?"

"Oh. We're actually graduated now. Ozpin let us graduate early," I said.

Her eyes widened. "Really? Wow, your team must be amazing if you were able to graduate early!"

I blushed a little. "My teammates aren't too bad if I say so myself."

We continued to walk until we had reached the outside of the school.