Chapter 60: Qrow

I gazed down at my empty bottle of whiskey. I hadn't seen Summer or Ruby in about a year. I kept telling myself that it was for the best. I'd only hurt them with my semblance...

"Excuse me, sir?" the bartender asked, "but would you like a refill on your whiskey on the rocks?"

I nodded. "Sure. I wouldn't mind another. Thanks."

I pushed the glass towards him and he took it to get refilled. He refilled it quickly and pushed it towards me.
"Here you are. That'll be twelve Lien," the bartender said.

I dug out twelve Lien and handed it to him.
"Thanks," I told him.

He nodded and walked away to serve another customer.

I was about to take a sip of my whisky until my scroll started to vibrate. I checked the caller ID. It was Tai.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey, Qrow. I'm afraid I have some bad news about Summer," he said.

"What?! Is she okay? What happened?" I asked, frantic.

"She was supposed to go on a mission for Ozpin, but it's been six months and she hasn't returned. ...I'm fearing that the worst has happened."

"No... she can't be dead! Stop trying to play this sick joke, Tai!" I yelled.

"I'm not joking! She really hasn't come back. I'm starting to worry. Have you seen her?"

"Are you kidding? Of course I haven't. I can't go around her or my daughter because of me and my damn bad luck!"

"...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you," Tai said.

"It's fine. I think I need some time alone, if you don't mind."

"Qrow... are you okay?" Tai asked.

I sighed. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

With that, I hung up the call.
"I think I'll take a few bottles of whiskey to go, if you don't mind," I told the bartender.

He smiled and nodded as he turned towards the various bottles.

"Do you have a favorite brand, sir?" he asked.

"Anything is fine. As long as it's strong," I replied.

He grabbed three bottles and put them in a paper bag.
"Here you are. That'll be a around thirty Lien."

I took the bag and handed him the cash before standing shakily to my feet.
"I appreciate it, sir," I said, my voice slurring a bit.

"Anytime. Come back and see us, okay? And be safe out there," the bartender said.

I nodded and stumbled out of the bar. I somehow made it back to my apartment. I took one of the bottles of whiskey and took a huge gulp.

Summer wasn't dead. She just couldn't be. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to her. I took another gulp and whiskey and collapsed onto the couch. I had already finished the bottle. I took the second bottle and drank most of it too. I didn't want to live without Summer here. I opened my third bottle of whiskey and drank about half of it before I blacked out.

...

I awoke again in the hospital. Tai was sitting in a chair across from me.

"Qrow! Finally you're awake! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" he said.

"Wha...what happened?" I asked.

"I showed up at your place to check on you. When you didn't answer, I busted the door down. I found you unconscious, barely breathing. So I called the ambulance and they drove you here," he said.

"You should've left me there, Tai. All I do is hurt people with my semblance. I can't even be around my own child! Do you have any idea how much that hurts me?!"

"I do understand. But your daughter needs you. Now more than ever. Imagine what it would be like for her if she were to lose both her parents. Could you do that to her?"

"...No. I love Ruby. And I want nothing more than to protect her."

"Well then, there you have it. You can be her guardian. And protect her from Salem. If Salem finds out about Ruby and her eyes... that wouldn't be good."

"I know. I'm not going anywhere. Not anymore. I promise to protect Ruby. You can count on that," I said.

Tai smiled. "Good. Now try to get some rest, okay?"

I nodded and closed my eyes, letting my mind drift away.