Chapter 39: Raven

The next few days after Summer's visit were slow. I couldn't go out on missions being pregnant and there wasn't much to occupy myself with at the house. I just wish I had something else to do...

I let my mind wander as I watched the TV. A loud cry from outside startled me out of my thoughts. I grabbed my weapon that was laying near the door and walked outside. I listened for a few seconds. There was the cry again, but louder this time. It sounded like it was coming from the woods. I selected my fire dust blade and made my way towards the area. It had been months since I last fought any Grimm. Both Tai and the doctor warned me not to overexert myself, but I was bored and didn't see anything worth doing.

Someone has to take care of these Grimm, I thought to myself.
I just hope I haven't gotten too rusty...

A loud snarl snapped me out of my thoughts. I gripped my sword tightly and turned just in time to slice a Beowolf in half. Breathing heavily, I quickly stabbed another that had lunged for my throat.

Beowolves weren't usually this quick... were they?

I didn't have time to contemplate as there were three other Beowolves charging straight at me.

I was already exhausted. But I was determined to kill them off. I was determined to show my strength.
I readied my katana and pointed it straight at the Beowolf in the middle.

"Cowards," I mumbled. "The weak die, while the strong live. I'll cut your lives short here and now!"

I slashed my katana at the Beowolf in the middle. The blade cut straight through easily. The other two Beowolves were charging at me from both sides. I was prepared to slice them, too, but something got in the way.

"No you don't!" I heard Tai say, grabbing one of the Beowolves by the neck. As it struggled and tried to kick free, Tai threw it into the other Beowolf. There was a loud cracking noise as both Grimm collided into one another. They dissipated moments after.

Tai turned to me and smiled.
"Glad I showed up when I did. You okay?"

I said nothing as I glared at him and sent my fist into his arm. Hard.
"You idiot!" I snapped. "I could've handled them!"

Tai rubbed his arm. "Ow," he winced. "I was just trying to help. You looked like you were having a rough time."

I sighed exasperatedly and replied, "So? I still could've taken care of them myself! You don't have to swoop in to rescue me all the time! I'm not..."

I suddenly stopped speaking as an intense wave of lightheadedness came over me.

Tai stared at me. "Raven? Are you okay?"

I couldn't get myself to say anything as I dropped my weapon and collapsed onto the ground.

...

When I opened my eyes again, I wasn't outside in the woods anymore, I was laying in bed. My lightheadedness was gone, but my head was killing me. Great. A migraine wasn't what I needed right now. I groaned and got to my feet. I walked downstairs and saw Tai in the kitchen.

"Raven! You're finally up," he said, sounding relieved.

"Yeah," I nodded. "What exactly happened anyway? I don't remember much."

Tai sighed and put the paper he was reading down. "Well, you went outside to take care of some Grimm. I came to look for you and found you pretty exhausted. You passed out and I took you inside to rest. I'm making some tea right now, so hopefully that helps."

"Oh. Thank you," I replied, taking a seat next to him. "How has work been lately?"

The kettle started to whistle loudly and Tai got up to finish the tea.

"Work's been the usual mostly," he said, pouring the hot and steaming water over a teabag.

He sat the teacup down in front of me and I reached over to grab the sugar.

"Mostly?" I asked, stirring in a few tablespoons of sugar into my tea.

"There's one student who's been having trouble in class. I've been trying to train him, but he's not making much progress. I'm afraid he might flunk out if things don't improve," Tai said, taking a seat next to me.

I sipped my tea. It was a lot better when it was hot.

"And who is this student?" I asked.

Tai ran his fingers through his hair. "Marcus Black. From what I hear, he's the first in his family to attend a combat school. And he managed to get to Signal by himself mostly. That's pretty impressive if you ask me."

I stared into my tea.
...Why did that name sound familiar?

It hit me right then. I gasped and nearly spilled my tea.
"Did you say Marcus Black?"

Tai looked at me. "Yeah. Have you heard of him before?"

I took a few deep breaths and sat my tea down.

"There was a famous assassin named Mark Black. But my tribe knew him better as the Black Venom. He was probably the most dangerous fighter I've ever seen. And... he was the one who killed my parents. I don't remember much, and I don't think Qrow remembers anything. My grandfather eventually tracked him down one day. I'm not sure what happened to him, but I haven't seen or heard of him since. So I'm guessing he was taken care of."

Tai looked over to me. "Why are you telling me all this?"

I rolled my eyes. "I wasn't done talking yet. Anyway, from what I heard when I younger, this assassin had a son. I'm not trying to say Marcus is related to him or anything, I just think it's interesting the kid just so happens to have to same last name."

Tai sighed and got up from his chair. "Look Raven, I highly doubt Marcus is related to this Mark Black character. It's probably just a coincidence. I'm about to make some dinner, is there anything you'd like?"

I shook my head and replied, "Anything would be fine to me."

I sipped my tea again. If this assassin had a son, then that child could've figured out that my tribe had contributed to his father's death. It's reasonable to assume he'd be training to figure out how to fight. Me and my brother went to Beacon to figure out how to kill huntsmen. This child might be attending Signal to figure how how kill as well.
My hands shook as I sipped my tea again.

Looks like I'll have to do some research later, I thought to myself.