Chapter 17: Summer

The evening air was cool as I walked around outside. I couldn't see any threats that needed to be dealt with, but I had the eerie feeling that someone or something was watching me. I gazed around more, but I couldn't really see much due to it being in the dark. Then I saw a pair of red glowing eyes. A creature I had never seen before walked out from the shadows. I couldn't see it that well in the dim moonlight, but it nearly looked human like. It's huge wings were nearly as big as the Grimm dragon's.

I drew out my sword to attack, but its arm swatted my sword away. I was then pinned down by the Grimm's arms. It could feel it's warm breath on my face. I couldn't move as I looked into its red eyes. It opened its mouth slightly, and I could see that it was preparing to shoot fire. I panicked and found the strength to kick it as hard as I could. It instantly let go of me and skidded a few feet before blowing blue flames towards my face. I managed to roll away before the flames made contact and got to my feet. I used my semblance to get to my weapon and began to charge at the Grimm. The Grimm didn't move as it's eyes began to darken. Before I could comprehend what was happening, a dark force covered the area and enveloped me. I fell to my knees screaming. This pain wasn't like when I used my powers, it was far more intense. My body felt like it was being lit on fire, submerged in acid, and being torn apart all at the same time. My headaches were nothing compared to this. I could hear the Grimm walk closer, dragging its' feet across the rocky gravel. Slowly, the pain began to subside and I was able to rise to my feet again.

I had to stop whatever this thing was before it hurt anyone else. I closed my eyes and concentrated. My head didn't hurt as much this time. My vision became filled with light as I opened my eyes. The Grimm screeched in pain. As the light subsided, I noticed that the Grimm was still there. It seemed to be a little annoyed, but it wasn't drastically hurt or turned to stone. I didn't understand. I thought silver eyes hurt Grimm. Unless... my powers were weakened somehow. I sighed in frustration as I gripped my sword tightly. Looks like I was going to have to fight this thing without my powers.

I tried to slash at it, but it dodged quickly and countered by swatting me away with it arms. I went sliding back a few feet. The Grimm's eyes began to darken once again before they shot out the dark force from before. I fell to my knees again, my entire body screaming in pain. I tried to get to my feet, but I couldn't move without making the pain worse. I felt a pair of strong hands lift me up. As soon as I opened my eyes, the creature quickly body slammed me into the ground. My aura broke as I screamed in pain. Its strong hands had me pinned to the ground. I opened my eyes once again to see its own eyes staring directly into mine. I could see rows and rows of serrated teeth as its' warm breath covered my neck. I didn't have the strength to fight back anymore.

This was it. I was going to die here.

"GET OFF OF HER!" I heard someone scream.

I saw someone's fist slam into the Grimm's head, shattering its skull. Its' entire body disintegrated a few seconds later. I saw Deacon standing before me, his aura glowing slightly around his entire body.

I stared at him in awe. "How... how did you do that?"

"I... I don't know," he replied.

Then his body went falling to the ground.

"Deacon!" I shrieked.

I hurried over to him and knelt by his side. He was unconscious, but didn't seem to be seriously hurt. I grabbed my scroll from my pocket and called Qrow. He answered on the second ring.

"Summer!" he cried. "I was just about to call you. Deke ran off and I can't find him anywhere!"

"Don't panic, he's with me. He's not hurt, but he is unconscious."

"Thank goodness. Do you need help bringing him in?"

"No," I replied. "I'll be back shortly. Something happened out here that I find... concerning."

"That doesn't sound good. I'll be waiting for you."

He hung up and I placed my scroll back in my pocket. I gently scooped up Deacon and carried him back to the bookstore, the image of that terrifying Grimm still fresh in my mind.