Chapter 32: Qrow

It had been around four months since Laurel's death. Summer had healed physically... but I could tell she was still struggling with some mental issues. Her sleeping habits were way off. I would often find her laying on the couch in the middle of the night still awake. Every time I would try to talk to her, she would brush it off and close her eyes like she was going to sleep.

But we both knew she wasn't.

As for Deacon, I've had to take charge of teaching him as well as training him. Summer's PTSD had gotten so bad, she could hardly function most days to teach him herself. I was giving her time, but I wasn't sure if it was enough... Maybe she would benefit more of she had some time to herself. One evening, after I had trained Deacon, I decided to talk to Summer. She was in the kitchen cooks dinner.

"Hey... Summer?" I asked.

She sharply turned towards me.
"Qrow? Did you need something?"

"I just came to see how dinner was going."

She smiled a little. "It's about done. I didn't add any meat to this dish, so hopefully Deacon likes it."

I walked closer and wrapped my arms around her. "I'm sure he will. Is there anything I can do?"

"You can set the table, if you don't mind," she said.

I smiled and kissed her nose.
"Of course, my love. I'll get right on it."

I opened the cabinet to grab a few glasses, as I was setting them on the table, I knocked one of them over and cursed as it shattered onto the floor.

Summer jumped, startled.
"What was that?" she asked.

"It was my fault. I accidentally knocked over a glass. Damn semblance..."

Summer walked over and grabbed the broom.
"Don't worry too much about it, Qrow. It's not like it can be helped. Finish setting the table for me. I'll take care of the glass," she said, starting to sweep up the broken bits.

I nodded and was extra careful not the break anything else.
Dinner passed mostly in silence because Summer was quieter than usual. She seemed to be thinking hard about something.

"Summer?" Deacon asked.

"Yes, dear?" she asked him.

"I'm done eating. Is it okay if I go to sleep now?"

She nodded. "Of course. Get some rest."

Deacon gave us both a hug before he ran off to the lounge room to lay down.
After a few minutes passed, I decided to speak up.

"So... now that we're alone, there's something I want to talk to you about."

Summer looked concerned. "Is something wrong?"

I shook my head. "No... well not exactly. It's just that I've noticed that you haven't been yourself ever since Laurel's death."

She glared at me. "Of course I haven't, Qrow. I watched someone get brutally murdered!"

I held my hands up in defense.
"I'm not trying to start anything. I just think... maybe a break from all of this would be good for you."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I think you should go back to the mainland in Vale for a few days. Being cooped up in some ruins twenty-four-seven can drive anyone mad. Being around a crowd of people and in nature might really help you. I think you need a few days to focus on yourself a bit. Do you understand?"

Summer was quiet for a long time.
"...Yeah. I don't feel comfortable leaving you and Deacon on your own, though."

"Don't worry about us.  I'll make sure Deacon is safe while you're gone. And it'll only be a few days," I said.

She sighed and stood from her seat. "Fine. I'll go and take this little break for you. Can I take your bowl?"

I smiled and handed it to her. "Thank you."

She took it and placed it into the sink along with hers.

"I hope you'll be okay without me. I don't want anything to happen to you or to Deacon. That's why I'm so hesitant to leave. Even if it's just for two days," she explained.

"I know you're a bit uneasy, but I promise to keep Deacon and myself safe. You trust me... don't you?" I asked her.

She sat down and placed her hand on mine.
"Of course I do," she told me. "I just don't like the idea of leaving you again."

I sighed. "I know you don't. But I think this would really help you. If you don't do this for me, then at least do it for Deacon. He wants his cheerful teacher back."

She opened her mouth like she was going to say something, but she quickly stopped herself.
"I... Okay fine. I'll leave tonight and return in two days. Does that sound good?"

I smiled at her. "That sounds perfect."

We stared into each other's eyes for a moment before Summer eventually rose from her chair.

"Well, I'd better leave now if I want to reach the mainland by morning. Please... be careful."

I stood up and escorted her to the door.
"I plan to be. You stay safe, too," I told her.

She kissed me tenderly before leaving out the door.

"See you soon... my precious flower," I whispered.