Chapter 44: Qrow

I winced as I held my wounded stomach. Blood was gushing from the area and was covering my hand. I was doing best to slow down the bleeding, but it didn't seem to help much. Blood was still gushing out at an alarming rate.

Great. I was going to die here, wasn't I?

It was then a portal opened beside me. A familiar glowing red portal.

"Tai," I mumbled.

Tai that stepped out of the portal a few seconds later.

"About time you show up," I said, still keeping the pressure on my stomach.

"Sorry it took me too long," he replied.
"Now lay still while I heal your wounds."

I laid on my back as Tai activated his aura. There was a dull pain where my stomach wound was, but it didn't hurt too bad.

I gazed over towards Summer. She was still fighting off Black Venom. He kicked her in the ribs and she cried out in pain.
I struggled to get up, but Tai pushed me back down.

"Qrow, what are you doing? I'm not done healing you yet!"

"Summer needs help!" I said, still trying to sit up.

I saw Summer shakily stand to her feet.
"I'll be fine. I can handle him a bit longer," she said, darting towards him.

I laid back down as Tai's aura continued to slowly heal my wound. After a while, it started to hurt.

"Can you speed this up?" I asked. "This is starting to get painful."

"Good. Give it a few more minutes. If you're hurting, that means your body is healing itself. Wait until the wound has closed up at least."

I glared up at him, but said nothing as my wound continued to heal. It eventually closed up, leaving a faint scar.

"Okay, you should be ready to go," Tai said.

Just as I got to my feet, a red portal opened.

"Raven needs me. I gotta go," he said.

I nodded. "Go on. Thanks for your help."

"No problem," Tai said as he ran into the portal. It closed moments later.

I reached for my blade and transformed it into my scythe. I tried to slash at Black Venom, but he dodged it quickly. I felt my scythe slice something else. And then I heard Summer scream.

I had accidentally sliced her thigh. Blood was gushing from the wound. It looked deep too.

"Dammit! What the hell, Qrow?!" she cried.

"I'm so sorry, Summer!" I said. "I was aiming for—"

Before I could finish, Black Venom grabbed Summer by her hair.
"Any last words?" he asked, bringing his dagger to her throat.

I positioned my scythe and pointed the shot gun barrel at him.

"I have some last words for you," I said. "Leave Summer the hell alone!"

I pulled the trigger. The bullet hit him in the neck. He let go of Summer's hair and fell to the ground. Blood started to pool by his neck. Summer ran to my side.

"Is he dead?" she asked.

I slowly walked to his body to get a closer look. He wasn't moving at all. And it didn't look like he was breathing either. Plus it looked like he was losing a lot of blood.

"Yeah. I think so. If he's not, then he'll die from blood loss. Let's get back to the house and check on Deke," I said.

Summer nodded and followed me back to the house.

"Deke?" I called. "We're back,"

There wasn't a response.

"Do you think he ran off somewhere?" I asked Summer.

"It's a possibility. You know how he likes to go through things. I'll stay here and look for him. You can go search for him outside. Maybe he's looking through scrap metal again?"

I nodded. "Maybe. I'll go look. Stay safe, okay?"

I ran outside and looked around. I could hear the faint sound of metal being moved around. I kept following the sound until I found a huge pile of scrap metal. I saw Deacon near the base. He was digging around, throwing pieces of metal everywhere.

"Deke?" I called. "What are you doing?"

He froze and then turned around.
"Uncle? How did you find me?"

"I went looking for you," I told him. "Come on. Let's head back to the house. I bet Summer—"

Before I could finish my sentence, a huge piece of metal fell from the pile and hit Deacon in the head. His eyes rolled back and he fell to the ground.

"DEKE!" I yelled.

I ran to him and gently cradled him in my arms. The wound on the back of his head was bleeding a bit. I removed my cape and pressed it against his head gently.

"Dammit... I'm so sorry Deke," I whispered. "You'll be alright. Uncle Qrow will take care of you. I promise."

I closed my eyes as tears flowed down my cheeks.

Me and my damn bad luck, I thought.