Chapter 57: Summer

It's been around six months since I've been staying at Tai's. Qrow did his best to visit when he could, but I could tell he was keeping his distance from me.

It hurt me. I knew his semblance made things hard for him, but I expected him to visit more often. I guess I assumed wrong...

I gasped as a sudden pain ripped through my abdomen. And then I felt a gush of liquid leak onto the floor.

My water had broken.

I scrambled to my feet despite the pain and reached for my scroll to call Tai. He answered on the second ring.

"Hello?" he asked.

"Tai," I told him, "my water broke. I need help. Could you please come back home?"

"Of course. I'll be there as soon as I can okay?"

"Okay. Please hurry," I begged.

"I will," he said before hanging up the call.

I managed to make my way to the couch to lay down. The contractions weren't too bad—yet. And they were several minutes apart. It was like this for a while. Until they started getting stronger and closer together.

"Please Tai... get here soon," I begged as I put my face into the pillow to scream. These contractions hurt. All I wanted was for them to stop.

Then I heard the door swing open. Qrow instantly ran to my side and knelt next to me.
"Tai told me that your water had broken," he said. "Don't worry. I'm here to help you."

"I don't understand, Qrow," I said. "It's too early. I wasn't supposed to go into labor until at least a few months!"

He soothed me by stroking my hair gently.
"It's okay. I'm here now. Our baby will be born before you know it. Tai should be coming in with the first aid kit."

As soon as he said that, I saw Tai walk inside. He walked over to me and sat the first aid kit by his feet.

"Okay, Summer. How far apart are your contractions?" he asked.

"About a few minutes I think," I told him. "They're really starting to hurt."

"Okay. Do you feel like you need to push at all?"

I thought for a moment. I did feel some pressure.
"I don't know... I think so," I told him.

I took Qrow's hand and did my best to push. It hurt a lot. I moaned in pain as I felt the head emerge.

"Okay. Great work Summer," Tai said. "The head is already out. Try pushing again."

I did what Tai instructed and pushed again.
"Tai... it hurts," I moaned.

"I know. But you're almost done. I think one more push should do it. But you have to push with all that you got. Can you do that?"

I nodded. "I think so. Don't let go of my hand, Qrow."

"I won't," he promised.

I pushed as hard as I could. The pain was so intense that I screamed. But I felt the pressure finally leave. And then I heard a piercing cry.

"Congratulations. It's a girl," Tai said, handing my daughter to me.

He then brought out some sharp surgical scissors.

"Would you like to cut the cord, Qrow?" he asked.

Qrow looked surprised. "Uh... I suppose so."

I smiled up at him. "It's okay. You're her father, after all."

He took the scissors carefully and cut the umbilical cord.

"Do you have a name for her yet?" Tai asked.

"Hm... I like Ruby," I said.

"Ruby Rose... such a beautiful name," Qrow said.

"I'm glad you like it. Isn't she beautiful?"

Qrow smiled and kissed Ruby's head gently.
"Yes. She's the most beautiful thing I've ever laid my eyes on," he whispered.

"She'll grow up to be strong like her father I bet," I said.

"And be as beautiful as her mother," Qrow told me.

I smiled. My daughter was finally here. And she was perfect. I wanted nothing more than to protect her and keep her safe.

Then she opened her eyes for the first time. And they shined a brilliant silver.

"Qrow.... her eyes," I whispered.

He gazed down and looked at her silver eyes.
"Looks like she also has the same silver eyes like her mother," Qrow said.

"Yeah, looks like it. She's so pretty. I love her already," I said.

Qrow smiled at me. "Yeah. She sure is. I love her already too."

"Would you like to hold her?" I asked, holding Ruby put to him. He took her in his arms gently and cooed at her.

"Hey there, kiddo," he said. "I'm glad you're finally here. I promise that I'll protect you. Always."

I couldn't help but smile. It looked like things were finally settling into place.