Chapter 59: Raven

I stood in front of Jinn. She looked down at me, smiling.
"You wish to know about the silver eyes? Very well. I shall share the knowledge with you, seeker."

I waited for a few moments before Jinn continued.

"The silver eyes have the ability to do many things. Like vaporizing Grimm, or turning them into stone. But it comes with a price. Every time the silver eyes are used, some aura is used in the process. Aura, as you might know, is connected to a mortal's life force. If a silver eyed warrior uses too much power at once... well, what happens when you use too much of your aura?"

I gazed up at her.
"You die," I said.

"Exactly. The silver eyes were a creation by the God of Light himself. Humankind needed capable warriors to combat Salem. Yes, Salem. The leader of the Grimm. She used to be a student of Ozpin's, you know. Until one fateful day when she decided to experiment with Blood Magic, an ancient type of magic that is now forbidden. Ozpin warned her not to have anything to do with the magic, but curiosity got the better of her, and the magic corrupted her and made her immortal. Turning her into what she is today."

...

I bolted straight up.

"Stupid dream," I mumbled.

I had been having the same reoccurring dream ever since I had met with Jinn around a year ago. To think it's been a year already... time really does seem to go by fast.

I got out of my bed and put on my regular clothes. Vernal was waiting for me outside.
"You look like you're ready to head out somewhere," she said.

"I am," I told her. "I'm leaving for a bit, but I'll be back soon."

I unsheathed my sword and sliced the air, making a portal.
Someone had to tell Summer about the silver eyes. And if it wasn't going to be Ozpin, it was going to be me.

"Are you okay with being in charge Vernal?" I asked.

She nodded. "Of course. Be safe."

I nodded as I put on my helmet and stepped into the portal.

When I stepped out the other side, I saw Beacon Academy.
"That can't be right... Summer is staying at Tai's," I muttered to myself.

I said nothing else as I walked past several students. They instantly backed away when they noticed me.

It must be the helmet, I thought to myself.

I walked inside the school and into the elevator to Ozpin's office. Once the doors opened, I walked down the corridor to Ozpin's office door. I put my hand on the knob to open it, but then I heard a voice that made me stop dead in my tracks.

"...I'm not too sure, sir," I heard Summer say. "The mission sounds risky."

"I understand you're hesitant, Miss Rose, but I wouldn't trust anyone with this mission but you. I really do think you have what it takes to defeat Salem."

"Hm... if you really think I can do it, then I guess I can try."

"Thank you, Miss Rose. Now, if you excuse me, I have a student conference coming up in about fifteen minutes, so I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"Of course, sir. I'll talk to you later, then."

I heard the sound of footsteps and let go to the door knob. I took a step back and watched as the door swung open.

Summer's face went from concerned to shocked once she noticed me.

"Raven?! What are you—"

I put my hand on her mouth to keep her quiet and quickly shut the door before Ozpin could see me.
"Not now. Come with me," I said, creating a portal back to my tribe.

"What? But—"

Before she could finish her sentence, I pulled her into the portal with me.
Once we stepped out, we were back at my tribe. Summer turned to me. She didn't look too happy.

"Raven what the hell?! Why did you bring me here?!" she demanded.

I glared at her and said, "To tell you the truth. Don't you want to know about the silver eyes?"

Her eyes widened.
"What do you mean?"

"We can't talk here. Come inside my tent. I'll tell you there."

Summer didn't protest as she followed me into my tent. I gestured for her to take a seat on one of the plush cushions. Once she did I sat across from her.

"So, what do you know exactly?" she asked.

"I know that if you use too much of your power at once, it can kill you. Your powers are connected to your aura. And you already know that our aura is connected to our life force."

Summer was silent for a moment.
"Raven? How do you know all this?"

"I learned it from the relic of knowledge. Jinn, the being that resides in the relic, told me. Please Summer, you have to believe me. I have no reason to lie to you. If you go on that mission, you'll kill yourself! Or worse yet, Salem will kill you. As your teammate and friend I'm begging you... don't go on that mission!"

Summer was quiet as she looked at the ground. She didn't say anything.

"Summer? Summer please talk to me," I begged.

She looked up at me, tears rolling down her cheeks.
"Why... why would Ozpin lie to us?"

I placed my hand on her shoulder. "I don't know. I'm really sorry, Summer."

Summer was quiet for a moment.
"Well... what do you suggest we do?"

"Easy. Fake your death. Ozpin and everyone else will just think you died on that mission."

Summer's eyes widened.
"Raven! I couldn't do that to Tai and the kids!"

I glared at her. "You got a better idea?"

Summer was quiet for a long time.
"No," she said.

I smiled. "That's what I thought. Let's start by doing a makeover. Your look needs an upgrade. And we need to come up with an alias for you to use, too."

I heard summer sigh.
"Okay. Let's get started," she said.