Chapter 40: Qrow

I groaned and got out of bed. The sun was shining brightly this morning. As I turned my head, I noticed Summer wasn't laying next to me. I wasn't too concerned. She always woke up early. I couldn't help but wonder how she managed to get up before dawn.

I sighed and left the room to find her. She was in the kitchen, cooking some breakfast it looked like. Deacon sat at the table, looking over his childhood fairy tale book.

When Summer noticed me standing in the doorway, she smiled.
"Morning, Qrow. You're up pretty early today," she said.

"Well, I wanted to get up a little earlier today to train Deacon."

She waved her hand dismissively, "Don't worry about that. I actually wanted to train him to use his semblance better. I'd say you've trained him pretty good when it comes to fighting. Besides, there's... something else I want you to do for me."

"Oh yeah, what's that?"

She finished stirring whatever it was in the pot and walked over to me.
"Can we talk outside?" she asked.

I nodded. "Of course."

I followed her outside and she shut the door.
"I'm sorry about this. I just didn't want Deacon to hear."

"That's okay. What is it you wanted me to do?" I asked.

She ran her fingers through her hair and sighed. She looked very uneasy.
"I know this is going to be very risky, but I wouldn't ask if I didn't think it was necessary."

I put my hand on her shoulder to try to comfort her. "Summer... I'm tough as nails. I can handle myself. If you need a favor done, then I'll do it. I don't care how dangerous the task is."

She was quiet for a moment before saying, "I'd like for you to head to Salem and figure out what she's planning. If she really is going to come after us, I want to know beforehand in order to be more prepared."

I was hesitant. The last thing I wanted to do was leave Summer and be separated from her again. That would make her and Deacon more vulnerable to Salem's attacks. But Summer did have a point. It would be better to spy and figure out what Salem was going to do rather than wait it out and be unprepared...

"I'll leave straight away," I told her,
"the sooner I get going, the sooner I can return."

Summer looked concerned. "Are you sure? You'd better say goodbye to Deke if you're heading out now. You know he'll be wondering where you are."

"Yeah, you're probably right," I replied, as I turned to open the door.

Before I could, the door swung open.
"Oh! Hi, Uncle!" Deacon said. "I came outside to see what was taking you so long."

Summer smiled at him. "We were just talking, dear. But I'm afraid Uncle Qrow has to leave for a while."

Deacon look worried. "What? Why?"

"It's nothing too serious," I told him, "I just need to take care of something for Summer. I'll be back as soon as I can. I promise."

"Okay. Come back soon!"

With that, he ran back inside, shutting the door behind him.

I changed into my corvid form and landed on Summer's shoulder.
"Promise me you'll stay safe," she told me, as she stroked my feathers gently.

Well... I can't exactly promise. But I'll be as safe as I possibly can.

She smiled, but still had a worried look in her eyes. "I know. If you find out anything, let me know immediately."