Chapter 62: Taiyang

"It's okay, Ruby. I'm here," I cooed as she continued to cry.

Summer went on a mission for Ozpin quite some time ago, and she has yet to return, which left me alone to raise Ruby and Yang. Yang was around two now and was a good big sister to Ruby.

After rocking Ruby for a few minutes, I laid her back down in her crib.

"Daddy?"

I turned around to see Yang in the doorway. She was holding her baby blanket Summer had made for her.

"Yes, sweetheart?" I asked.

"When is mommy coming home? I miss her," she told me.

I sighed. "I'm not too sure, sweetheart. Hopefully soon. Now you better get to bed. It's time for your nap."

"Okay. I love you daddy," she said, before running back to her room.

After making sure Ruby was comfortable, I went to the livening room to start grading some papers. I was about halfway through when I heard Ruby start to cry again. I walked upstairs to her nursery and picked her up gently.

"What's wrong, little one?" I asked. "Are you hungry? Let's go and fix you something."

I carried her downstairs and sat her in the bassinet so I could fix her a bottle of formula. After putting in a few table spoons and filling it halfway with water, I shook the bottle for a few minutes until it was mixed in. I walked back to the living room and picked up Ruby.

"I have your lunch ready sweetheart. I bet your hungry, huh?"

Ruby's cried subsided once she began to drink her formula. After she drank about half of it, she yawned and started to close her eyes.

"Looks like someone is ready for a nap," I said, laying her in the bassinet gently.

"Sweet dreams, little one," I said.
"I'll be right here, okay?"

Ruby yawned again before closing her eyes. She was asleep in minutes.

"Man, I wish I could fall asleep that fast," I mumbled.

I sat on the couch and grabbed my laptop. I could grade and keep watch over Ruby should she wake up and start crying again.

After I was through grading, I felt my scroll vibrate. I took it out of my pocket to answer.
"Hello?"

"Hey, Tai. It's Qrow," I heard at the other end of the line.

"Oh. Hey Qrow. Did you need something?" I asked.

"Yeah actually. I have a question for you."

"And what might that be?" I asked.

"Well, I'm supposed to go on a search and destroy mission for Oz. I was wondering if you wanted to come with me. It's been a while since we kicked ass together."

I couldn't help but laugh.
"Yeah, it's been a while. I guess I could drop the girls off at their daycare before I head over to your place. How does that sound?"

"Sounds good to me. I'll see you when you get here."

"When is the mission supposed to be completed?" I asked.

"I'm not too sure. All I know is that there are some powerful Grimm outside of Beacon that are getting a bit too close to the school. And we need to take care of them before they reach there. From what Oz has told me, these Grimm are strong. So I might need some extra man power out there."

"Yeah. I understand. I'll be at your place in about an hour."

"That's fine. I'll see you soon. Bye."

After he hung up, I put my scroll back into my pocket.

"Surely the Grimm can't be that strong," I said to myself. "It's probably just a Nevermore or something..."

I picked up Ruby from her bassinet. She started to cry a little.

"It's okay, little one. It's just me. Daddy has to drop you and your sister off at the daycare."

Yang came running in shortly after.
"Can you play with me, daddy?" she asked.

I shook my head. "Not right now, sweetheart. Daddy has something that he needs to do, so you and your little sister and going to stay at the daycare for a while. Don't worry, I'll come pick you up as soon as a can, okay?"

"Okay! I get to see my friends!"

I smiled. "Yeah. I bet you miss them a lot, huh?"

She nodded. "Yeah! Can we go now?"

"Okay. Let me go get my keys and then we can go."

Yang squealed in delight as I made my to the kitchen. My keys sat on the table and I quickly grabbed them.

Still holding Ruby, I made my way to Yang.
"Ready to go, kiddo?" I asked.

"Yeah!"

"Then let's go. Time to get this show on the road."