Chapter 49: Summer

The next few weeks went by slowly. Qrow and I were doing small missions for Ozpin to get some extra money to pay for bills and such.

One morning, I woke up feeling extremely nauseous. I quickly got out of bed and started to run towards the bathroom. I shut the door and was violently sick moments later. I threw up into the toilet a few times.

I heard a knock on the door.
"Summer?" I heard Qrow ask, "are you okay?"

"Don't come in here," I told him. "I'm really sick."

After a few more minutes, I had stopped feeling nauseated. I walked out of the bathroom and saw Qrow standing a few feet away.

"Sorry about that," I told him. "Stomach bug, I guess."

Qrow kissed me. "Take care of yourself, okay? I'm heading out on a mission today, so you'll have the place to yourself."

I smiled at him. "That's okay. Be safe."

"Will do."

We said our goodbyes and I was alone. After a few hours, the nausea returned and I got sick again. What was going on with me?

I grabbed my scroll and searched for Raven's number. I found it a few seconds later and dialed it. After a few rings, I heard her voice from the other line.

"Summer? What the hell do you want?" she asked.

"I promise I won't take up more of your time than necessary. I just have a question. When you were pregnant with Yang, did you get sick a lot?"

There was a pause before she answered.
"Yeah. The first few weeks were hell. The nausea stopped after the first trimester. Why are you asking me this?"

I took a deep breath. "I ask because I think I've been experiencing morning sickness. Raven... I think I might be pregnant."

"What do want me to do?" she asked.

"If you don't mind, could you buy me a pregnancy test? I would appreciate it."

There was a few moments of silence.
"...Fine. What kind do you want?"

"Doesn't matter," I told her, "just please come by today. Qrow is out on a mission and I want to be sure before he gets back."

"Alright. I'll see you in a little while."

"Thank you!" I told her before hanging up.

I heard a knock on the door about an hour later. I got up from the couch and opened it. Raven stood there, holding a plastic bag.

"I didn't know what kind to get you, so I got a few," she said.

I took the bag from her. "Thanks. I really appreciate it, Raven."

"I need to get back. I'll keep in touch," she said, before slicing the air with her katana and creating a portal. She walked inside and it vanished seconds after. I sighed and shut the door. I took one of the tests and headed to the bathroom. After using it, I waited a few seconds before two lines appeared.

"That can't be right," I mumbled, grabbing the second test Raven got for me.

It too showed me two faint lines.

I couldn't believe it. I was... pregnant.

I heard the door open.
"It's just me," I heard Qrow yell.

"The mission was quicker than I expected."

Oh gods... what was I going to tell Qrow?

"I'm in the bathroom. I'll be out in a sec," I said.

I took a few deep breaths to calm myself before stepping out. I walked to the living room to find Qrow watching the news. He got up and wrapped his arms around me.

"Hey," he said, smiling.

I did my best to smile. "Hi."

Qrow looked at me. "Are you okay? You seem stressed about something."

"Actually... there's something I need to tell you," I said.

We sat together on the couch and took his hand.
"How would you feel if I told you that you were going to be a father?"

His eyes widened in shock.
"Summer... are you pregnant?"

I nodded and brought out the two pregnancy test Raven got me earlier. Qrow looked at them and then abruptly stood to his feet and brought out his scroll.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Calling my sister. You staying at Tai's."

"What?! No I'm not!"

"Summer, my semblance is misfortune. Anything bad could happen at any moment when I'm around. My semblance could harm our unborn child. And I can't let that happen. I won't," he said, quickly dialing Raven's number.

"Hey Raven? Yeah, it's me Qrow. Look, can you do me a favor? I need you to take Summer to Tai's."

There was a moment of silence before he continued.
"Summer is pregnant. And my bad luck could hurt this baby. Just please get here? ...Thank you. I'll see you when you arrive."

"I'm not going anywhere! I want to stay with you," I told him.

"Summer... you can't. It's too dangerous. To you and our unborn child."

I felt tears starting to form in my eyes.
"Then does this mean... the wedding is off?"

"I'm sorry, Summer. I can give you back the ring—"

"No, it's okay. Keep it. I insist," I said.

He nodded and slipped it off his wedding finger and slid it on his right index finger.

Then a red portal opened. Raven stepped out.
"Ready to go, Summer?" she asked.

I sighed. "I suppose so. Goodbye, Qrow."

"Bye Summer. I still love you. Don't doubt that. I'm doing this because I love you."

I said nothing else as I followed Raven into the portal. When we stepped out, we were in front of Tai's house. He was tending to his garden. He didn't seem to notice we were there.

"Alright, my job here is done. Take care Summer," she said, turning into her corvid form and flying off.

Tai jumped and stood to his feet.
"Summer? What are you doing here?"

I couldn't say anything as tears gushed from my eyes and I sobbed. Tai was by my side in seconds, holding me in his arms.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"Tai... I'm pregnant," I told him.

"Oh. Does Qrow know?"

"Yes. And he broke up with me. I understand his reasoning though. With his semblance and all. But I'm still heartbroken. Why couldn't my family stay together?"

"I don't know Summer. I often find myself asking the same thing. Raven just disappeared. I have no idea where she went. Poor Yang doesn't have a mother in her life anymore. I don't know what to do..."

"I'll help with Yang," I told him.

"You will? Are you sure?"

I nodded. "I can care for her while you're at work. It's no problem at all."

Tai smiled. "Thank you Summer. You're welcome to stay here as long as you want. I don't mind at all."

"Thank you."

He hugged me tighter. "It's okay. We'll get through this together."