Chapter 74: Taiyang

After staying in the hospital for a few more days, I was finally released. When I made it back home, I found Qrow waiting there.

"Hey," he said, greeting me.
"Feeling any better?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm just happy to be home."

I saw Yang run up to me.
"Daddy! You're back!" she said.

I smiled and scooped her up in my arms.
"Yes, I'm back. I missed you and Ruby so much," I said, kissing the top of her head gently.

Yang giggled and gave me a wet kiss on my cheek.

Qrow spent most of the day helping me look after Yang and Ruby.

"Thanks for looking after the girls for me," I told him.

He just grinned. "It's really no problem. That's what teammates and friends are for, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Oh, there's an idea I've been meaning to run by you."

Qrow looked at me. "Oh yeah? What might that be?"

"I was thinking about making a grave for Summer. Lily out you said... from the looks of it, it doesn't seem like she's coming back. I don't want to believe she's dead, but she's been gone for so long now, I can't help but wonder..."

Qrow sighed before responding.
"If you want to make her a grave, then go for it. What are you going to put on it?"

I thought about it for a second.
"Well... I'm thinking about making it simple. Just a picture of a Rose with the saying 'Thus kindly I scatter.' What do you think?" I asked.

"I like it," Qrow said. "Would you like me to help make the grave with you?"

I nodded. "That would be great. We need to find some sort of stone for the grave."

"Maybe we can find a boulder to use instead? It'll be cheaper that way," Qrow said. "And we can shape the boulder in whichever shape we want."

"That sounds like a good idea. Are there any large boulders around?"

Qrow looked thoughtful for a moment.
"I think I saw one near the cliff. We can check there."

I nodded and followed him outside to the cliff. Near the edge of it was a large boulder. It seemed to be the perfect size for a grave.

"Is this the boulder you were talking about?" I asked, gesturing towards it.

Qrow nodded. "Now all we have to do it shape it into the correct shape. I have some fire dust I can use to help shape the boulder."

"Sounds good. I'll let you get to work then," I told him.

Qrow began to coat his blade with the fire dust. Once it was properly heated, he got to work on reshaping the boulder. It took him a little while, but he eventually managed to shape it into a cube-like shape. It looked nearly perfect.

"Nicely done," I said. "Could you possibly make a rose with the inscription, too?"

Qrow nodded. "Sure. I can try."

I watched as he got to work on the grave. Using the fire dust, he managed to carve a rose on the grave. After that was finished, he used the tip of his blade to carve in the inscription 'Thus kindly I scatter.'

After he was through, he got to his feet.
"How does it look?" he asked.

I smiled. "It looks perfect, Qrow. I'm really impressed."

Qrow walked over to where some flowers were growing and picked a few. He then walked back to the grave and laid the flowers down.

"Rest in peace, Summer," he whispered.

I stood next to him in silence for a few minutes before we both decided to return home.
Yang ran up to me.

"Hi daddy!" she said happily.

I picked her up.
"Hey there, kiddo," I said to her.
"Where's your sister?"

Yang thought for a moment.
"I think she's in the kitchen."

"The kitchen? What is she doing in there?"

I gently sat Yang down and made my way to the kitchen. I found Ruby crawling underneath the table.

I knelt down and smiled at her.
"Hey there, little one. What are you doing in here?"

I gently grabbed her by her arms and pulled her from under the sink. She looked at me and smiled.

"Dada," she cooed.

I picked her up and stood back to me feet.
"Looks like someone could use a nap," I said to her.

She just smiled and yawned loudly.
I walked upstairs to her room and gently laid her down in her bed.

"Sleep well, little one," I said, before turning out the light and closing the door behind me.