Seven Stages

Caroline woke up somewhat out of place, she wasn't in her bed and she moved her head to look around, with a smile she sorted out her hair, now she remembered that she was at Matt's house, her mouth was dry and she shivered recalling how tough last night had been on her, thankfully she couldn't find a trace of the wounds as she checked her body and the venom was out of her system as well because she had Klaus' blood.

If anyone had told her that he would be her frigging Knight in the shiny armor she would have called them silly, stupid, crazy among some other really nice things but that was the truth, Klaus kept saving her life and she just knew that he probably didn't even give himself credit for that.

Well, maybe she should tell him and kiss him as well as a thank you gift, Caroline jumped from bed, yes, kissing Klaus was definitely a good way to start her day and she left the bedroom fast assuming that he was downstairs with Rebekah and Matt.

"Good morning." She greeted everyone with a smile as she entered the kitchen.

Matt and Rebekah gave her a warm smile in unison.

"Look who's up. And looking all shiny and new." Matt winked at Caroline.

The image of them sitting in the kitchen holding hands over the table was the most adorable image that she had ever seen and she pressed her shoulders together endeared by it. "I'm feeling good."

"You really slept in." Rebekah teased her with a smile. "I was somewhat afraid to go up there because I felt as if I was suddenly spying on mommy and daddy, I was actually afraid of what I might find or hear from the corridor." Rebekah stuck her tongue out disturbed.

Caroline laughed while getting a mug of coffee for herself. "I woke up alone and we didn't do anything last night which he could have told you already."

"What do you mean?" Rebekah asked a little confused.

Caroline faced her with steaming coffee warming her hand. "I know that he's not very talkative about us but there was no fooling around in Matt's bed." She had a sip of coffee with pursed lips. "Although I woke up with the smooching urges..." she glanced around the kitchen. "Where is he anyway?"

Rebekah looked at Matt and then back at Caroline. "C... I haven't seen Nik since he ran upstairs last night to save you."

Caroline moved the mug away from her mouth slowly. "But... he wasn't in the room when I woke up... he was... gone." She dropped the mug on the floor, before it shattered she was out of the door only to realize that his car wasn't there.

"Caroline, what's wrong?" Rebekah asked as the other came back inside only to grab a set of car keys.

"I have a terrible looming feeling Bekah and I'm afraid to say it out loud. I knew that something was wrong last night, I just knew it." Caroline's agitated voice accompanied her jittery way of clutching the keys in her hand.

"If that's the case, I'm going with you." Rebekah grabbed her coat, she kissed Matt and left after a shaken up Caroline.

As soon as they arrived to his house Caroline flashed inside, his car wasn't in the driveway but she still kept it together, she didn't really know where his bedroom was so she went over to the other place that she knew very well, the studio room where he kept all of his drawings.

She pushed the door open with a heart tight inside of her aching chest, she looked for some evidence that she was overreacting, that she was just blowing her stupid fears out of proportion, shaking she reached the table where she found a mess, most of his drawings had been torn apart.

It had to be Klaus who destroyed most of his own art and her eyes steered to the fireplace that was still burning, slowly she walked, dreading what she would find, and finally the image of her face burning in the fire made her crumble, Caroline fell to her knees feeling the warm tears coming down.