Something always brings me back to you

Bonnie softly knocked on the door before she came inside of the master bedroom, Caroline didn't react at all to the her, she was lying in bed and facing a wall, she wasn't crying though she was just staring at the wall like she was looking at something vital.

"Care..." Bonnie sat down on the bed next to her friend.

Caroline didn't even blink away from her numb silent nightmare.

Bonnie touched her arm trying to wake Caroline from her frozen daze but Caroline just seemed oblivious to everything, she was buried in the pitch dark of the room and Bonnie felt as if Caroline had disappeared into the darkness as well.

"I need to talk to you Caroline." Bonnie fished for the tiniest reaction.

The response from Caroline was far too sad for Bonnie, her friend was always the bubbly, sparkling and live person that everyone envied and wanted to be, Caroline always had something to say about everything but now she was consumed by silence.

It worried Bonnie that her best friend wouldn't even cry or be mad for what just happened, she just laid there, like she was waiting for death herself.

"He is such a mess..." Caroline suddenly said melancholically.

Bonnie started to stroke Caroline's hair, at least she was talking.

"Nik is a mess... he leaves stuff everywhere and I get mad because his clothes are always scattered around the room but he has dimples... how am I supposed to stay mad at someone who has dimples?" Caroline asked in such a low voice that it almost came out as a murmur.

"Care, we really need to talk..." Bonnie's voice wasn't much louder.

Caroline clutched the Henley shirt that she was holding closer to her chest, his scent kept her linked to a painful memory that stubbornly wouldn't go away, this was the shirt that she favorite to see him in, the one that glued to his body like a perfect glove, his long-sleeved grey Henley shirt.

The one she had removed every single time he wore it so she could feel his naked body and make love to him, Caroline clenched her teeth, for a very long time now that she had realized that every time Klaus needed to be in her good graces he would wear this very shirt and undeniably they would always end up making love to each other.

This morning when she arrived to their room, the first thing that she saw was the infamous shirt resting next to the bed. "He has that artist thing going on and he thinks that he is allowed to just leave things around because he's a genius and then he cunningly uses his dimples when he needs it..."

Bonnie gulped down, Caroline's voice was hoarse and full of pain. "Caroline... please look at me." Bonnie asked her gently.

Caroline finally took her eyes away from the wall.

"Oh Care..." Bonnie sighed and took in the immense pain that Caroline was in, it was like looking at a ghost, her natural glow was gone, only a shadow of the darkness that lived inside of Caroline right now could be seen.

Caroline didn't have anything else to say, she just looked at Bonnie as if that was how she would be from now on, she would just... exist, her life was gone with him.

When Bonnie handed her an envelope, Caroline looked at it and numbly sat up on the bed without letting his shirt go.

"Klaus... left you this." Bonnie only whispered the words because she knew that they would hurt her friend.

Caroline slowly took the envelope. "Thank you." she simply said numbly and went back to lying on the bed.

Bonnie slumped her shoulders knowing when to give up, she couldn't push Caroline now so she quietly left the room closing the door behind her, she had another mess to comfort in her own room.