Chapter 5

Ashton Lambordi POV

I sighed loudly looking at my reflection in the mirror. I may look intimidating to others but to my god son, I swear only he can ignore my intimidating look. It's like he's not affected at all! I can never get mad at that kid though even when he chose to ignore me. 

But it's not fair that he ignored me yesterday all because the brownies was not to his liking. Yesterday when I found the nearest cafe to his school we ordered one brownies for each of us. I was enjoying the brownies and I waited for Derek to start taking a bite so he can begin to tell me all about his first day. Sadly that didn't happen. Not long after he took a bite to his brownies he put down his fork back and stopped eating his brownies entirely. He was glaring at the brownies the whole time I was staring at him dumbfoundedly. 

"Something wrong with the brownies Derek?" I swear the brownies tasted well, like brownies.So what made him mad?

"Not same" I blinked my eyes once, twice, thrice ... HUH?

"What do you mean?" and he stopped talking. He only sighed, leaned back to his high chair before he looked outside the window.

I waited five minutes to see if he would change his mind but nope the kid was stubborn just like his dad. Eventually I took him with me back to the house which I told him to go and do his homework as soon we arrived. 

So, now, It's Derek second day today but unfortunately I have early meeting which I still need to prepare few things prior to it. I have asked Angelo or Angela but the two are also busy so my mom will be taking him today. I told my mom about yesterday and she only chuckled at me. Like, really? woman why?

As soon I made my way to the dining room I gave Derek a good-morning kiss before Mom. I quickly finish my breakfast and coffee before giving another kiss to Derek and Mom. I bid my goodbye to everyone else in the room and a promise to Derek to bring some brownies today. He nodded his head to me before he continue to eat his breakfast. Mom and Angela chuckled while Angelo and Dad was shaking their heads in amusement. Huh? I wonder why.

*****

The whole day have been tiring and long but luckily I managed to come back home for dinner. As promised I brought back some brownies for Derek. As soon I took it out, Derek was looking at the brownies disappointingly before he sighed. Is he really five?!

Derek took a bite before he shoved the brownies away from him. He shook his head and glare at the brownies. I grunted mentally before I roughly rubbed my face with my hand. 

"Donut" I halted at my action before I look back at Derek with my eyebrow raised. Derek simply shrugged his shoulder before he folded his arms on his chest. This kid act too mature for his age! What has he been watching?

"What?" I asked unsure. I waited for him to response but mom chimed in to help me from getting anymore lost than I already am.

"It seems this time he wants donuts. I picked him up from his school and asked how his day went but all he said was donuts. I brought him to a near by cafe, restaurant and specialised donut stores but none appealed to him" mom sighed loudly before looking at Derek with concern in her eyes.

I look back to Derek still with him staring at me expectantly. 

I don't know what to do! Damon! Give me a sign from above bro!

"Derek, what sort of donut do you want?" I asked slowly just so I don't tick the kid off.

"Strawberry, sweet" I nodded my head not knowing what else to say in response to that.

"umm... I will try to get one for you tomorrow. How about that?" he nodded his head once and back to eating his dinner. 

I sighed in relief as I leaned myself back to the dining chair. I look around the room to find the family staring at me amusedly. Oh God help!

As soon dinner was done I helped Derek getting ready for bed. I decided to have another go and asked him about his second day at school.

Derek finished up from brushing his teeth and is now on his bed under his duvet. I guess I better ask now than never.

"So Derek want to tell me how your day went?" I asked him with a gentle smile on my face.

"Donuts, Lucas share" answered Derek. I nodded my head with a wider smile on my face. Well, three words is better than one.

"So, I'm guessing the brownies was also from Lucas?" he nodded his head vigorously with his eyes sparkling from excitement. 

"Wow, yesterday was brownies today was donut. What's for tomorrow I wonder, do you know?" Derek simply shook his head no before a yawn escaped from his mouth. I chuckled at his unusual child-like behavior. 

"Sleep now Derek. Sweet dream, I mean it. Dream of your delicious brownies and strawberry donut!" I whispered to him before I kissed his forehead and bid him goodnight.

I turned off the light to his room and close his bedroom door gently. I made my way to my room to clean myself up before going back to my home's office to continue a bit of my work. I can't help but smile at the fact that Derek began to speak a little more to me. I don't know if it was because he was sleepy so he was more relax and let lose with his words or the fact that he found his one good friend that can help him, us, with him opening up more and began to use more speech.

Let's just hope things are now going to be better than ever for Derek and I.