Dumb and Oblivious

When Kara entered Sam's house from the unlocked front door, she heard glass shattering. "Lena?"

When she got to the kitchen, she saw Lena at the counter, finishing a glass of red wine while broken glass was on the counter next to her, in a National City University sweatshirt, her hair down and messy. 

She clicked her tongue as she walked over to get the dustpan. "Lena."

That made the brunette look up. "Oh, hey, Kara," she says drunkenly. She pours herself another glass. "Guess Sam told you."

"Sam's at work and Ruby's having mother-daughter bonding time Alex," Kara listed as she swept up the glass. "I don't know what you mean by Sam telling me whatever."

Lena turned her head to look at the blonde. Even drunk, she was still so compelling. "You know, you're terrible at hiding things from me, Supergirl." 

Kara sighed as she dumped the glass in the trash. "You don't know what you're talking about, Lena."

"Oh, but I do," she says. Lena points at her vaguely with the glass. "The glasses don't do much. darling. I can see right through you."

Kara leans against the cool, marble counter. "So how come I can't see right through you, either?" 

"Because you, my dear Kryptonian, don't have the capability of getting drunk."

"Not off of what you're drinking," Kara mutters. "Are you upset?"

"That James broke up with me?" Lena asked in her glass. "Not one bit."

"So why are you drinking? I-I don't understand."

"You probably never will, Kara," she groans, drawing a hand down her face before turning to see the confused, blue orbs. "How can someone be so beautiful yet so dumb at the same time?"

"I still don't understand, Lee."

"Don't you get it, Kar?"

"Get what?"

"I never wanted to date James," she says in a soft tone. "I wanted to date you. And I still do. That's why James broke up with me," she said, turning back to her wine, leaving the Kryptonian in a confused haze. "He overheard me moaning your name while I was," she waved her glass around, "you know." She gulped down the rest and poured more of the dark red substance.

"Lena, you don't know what-"

"Don't tell me I don't know what I'm saying, Kara Danvers, or whoever you are from Krypton," Lena interrupted, putting a hand on her forehead. "I've been in love with you for over a year. So don't dismiss my feelings like that because I know they're real." Her voice was almost cracking as she was on the verge of tears. "And I dated James because I knew you'd never reciprocate.

"So just please," she muttered, waving her off and shaking her head. "Don't tell me what I know and don't know. I know that I'm in love with you and there's nothing in the world that you could do to make me change that." 

Kara didn't say anything. She just studied her as she gulped down the rest of her wine. When she finished, she put both the glass and bottle out of her reach before picking her up.

"Silent treatment, huh?" Lena mumbled. "Sure, just ignore me."

"We can talk about this when you're sober." Kara placed her down on the couch and pulled a blanket over her, up to her chest.

"Kara?"

"Hm?"

Lena took hold of her collar and pulled her down so she could gently kiss her. Kara could taste the expensive wine on her lips but still consented to it, softly kissing her back.

Lena let her go and fell down against the pillows. "I love you," she whispered.

When Kara heard her heartbeat slow down and knew she was asleep, she whispered, "I love you, too."

Later when Sam came in, Kara was working on an article on her computer where Lena sat earlier. "Hey." 

Kara looked up at the soft voice. "Hey," she replied back.

"Is she okay?" Sam asked, walking over softly to her friend, seeing Lena on the couch from where she leaned against the back of the counter.

Kara sighed, rubbing her eyes under her glasses and keeping her fingers there. "She told me James broke up with her because of me. That she's in love with me and has been for the past year."

Sam nodded. "Sounds about right."

She removed her hand and looked over at her friend. "You knew?"

Sam snorted. "Well, duh. Kara, honey, you're oblivious."

"That's what everyone tells me," she sighs, going back to her computer.

"Hey, come on, you know I didn't mean it like that." Sam took her shoulder to turn her back to her. "I meant when it comes to feelings."

"She's my best-"

"Shut it, I'm trying to be the supportive in-law."

"Not-"

"What did I just say?" Kara shuts her mouth and gestures her to continue. "Kara, you're the Girl of Steel. You kick alien ass. Yes, you may not want to deal with feelings because you're out being a hero, but then you'll never get to enjoy life that way. And I don't wanna see you that way."

Kara sat in silence for a moment longer and staring off into space before looking back at her. "Can I talk now?"

"Oh, yeah, sure."

"I've been in love with her, too," she admits quietly. "Just didn't know how to say it."

"You say it with those words you just said. How furthermore complicated can it be?"

Kara gave her a pointed look. "She knows I'm Supergirl."

Sam clicked her tongue and waved it away. "I'm surprised the whole damn city doesn't know."

"Aren't you supposed to be making me feel better?"

"Look, the point is, Kar," she said with a small sigh, contemplating what she was going to say. "Supergirl, Kara Zor-El, Kara Danvers," Sam shrugs, "she's still in love with you. And she doesn't have any plans on stopping. She loves you for you and what you do. Nothing more, nothing less. Now what you gotta do is figure out what you're gonna do with it."

Kara nods slowly, not looking at anything in particular as she takes in her words. "I'm gonna go to bed." Sam kisses her cheek gently. "See you later. Love you."

"Yeah, you too," Kara says softly after her, hearing her retreating footsteps. She turns around in her seat and see's Lena's body slowly rising up and down on the couch.

She sighs. "What am I going to do with you, Lena Luthor?"