Come Back

Supergirl follows the heartbeat across the country, tears streaming down her face as she pushed further and faster.

She knows.

And she left them.

She left her.

Against her will, all of the wonderful happy moments she spent with her best friend entered her mind. Her laugh, her smile, the way her eyes lit up at the mention of science or talking about her projects, or even just about Kara herself. Now, it all just hurt rather than warmed her up.

The alien wipes her tears away and slows down as she reaches the city, stopping near one of the highest of buildings that the sun shines upon, about a block away from it.

Through the floor-to-ceiling glass window, she could see Lena inside, going over something on her tablet. The penthouse was illuminated by the electronic blue fire and a small lamp on the desk next to the couch where she sat, curled up on one end. 

She looked peaceful, even if she could just see her profile. But Kara knew that she wasn't, no matter what her heartbeat told her.

Supergirl took in a deep breath and flew over to the balcony, landing without a sound, not surprised that Lena didn't notice considering she was engrossed in her work. She raised her hand to the glass, hesitating for a moment, worrying her bottom lip.

She knocked anyway.

Lena's body jumped and she turned to look out of the glass. Her parted mouth goes into a straight, invisible line, her eyes went empty and dead.

Kara couldn't even smile at her. Seeing the opposite reaction of what her face usually is when she sees Supergirl is rather disheartening to her. If anything she sees from her friend, it's hatred.

Lena's jaw snaps tight as she gets off the couch, turning off the light and fireplace, not even glancing back to see the Super hanging her head down, crying just like when she told her.

Supergirl hovers off the ground and slowly flies to the South end of the city, hiding behind a tree next to a house to turn back into Kara, still wiping the tears from her face when she knocks on the door.

"Just a sec!" a female voice hollers. Kara hears footsteps and then locks unclick and there's Sam Arias opening the door.

Her smile is full of confusion but joyful. "Kara!? What are you—" She stopped when she saw her eyes glisten from the porch light, even more puzzled. "Hey, hey," she whispered, stepping closer to hug her, shushing her quietly as the blonde cried into her shoulder, gripping her tight.

<><><><>

"Thanks, Ruby," Kara whispers, taking the cup of hot chocolate from her with a weak smile.

"Rubes, Aunt Kara n' I have to talk for a bit," her mother tells her quietly. "Go to Nick or May's, I'll come get you later." The girl nods and hugs the blonde strongly before running out of the door.

Sam leans back on the couch, observing her friend in the chair adjacent from her. "Like the new look."

Kara smiled small at her. "You too."

She shrugs as she runs a hand through her shoulder-length hair. "Felt like a change." The blonde hums as she stairs in her cup. Sam leaned back forward to gain her attention. "Lena, hm?"

Just the mention of her name made the Kryptonian bite at her lip in worry. "She knows," she croaks out, getting a small head tilt of confusion from her friend. "That I'm Supergirl."

Sam scoffs to herself. "M'surprised that your whole job doesn't know," she mutters into her wine glass, getting a half-ass glare in return, which she ignores. "What happened?"