Fake

26. "The diamond in your engagement ring is fake."

"Lena, that ring is really beautiful!" Sam gapes when Lena shows her, Alex, Nia, Winn, and J'onn at a game night. Kara was off-world on a mission with M'gann and Clark, and they weren't due back until later that night. 

"I know, I love it." The diamond glittered in the light of the shared apartment that she and her now fiance lived in. 

"Kara has good taste," Nia commented.

"Definitely," Sam agreed.

"Which one of you went ring shopping with her?" Lena inquired. "I know she's indecisive, so she obviously had someone help her."

Everyone in the room froze. The raven-haired girl looked up from her ring, raising one brow and furrowing the other. "What?"

Sam and Nia coughed and Alex shot them a glare out of her periphery vision and muttered, "Shut up."

"Alex," she drew out calmly, but she just takes a sip of her beer, shrugging.

Lena looked over at the CFO, who was getting up to get more alcohol. Nia just shook her head, following the brunette. Being the smart woman she is, she looks over at J'onn, who sighs. "J'onn, you say one word-"

"I'd rather tell her than having to face the wrath of a Luthor," he interrupted Alex.

"Fine, I'll save you from it." Lena looked over the couch to her coworker who was at the counter, bracing herself against the table, looking at her with a deadass stare. "The diamond in your engagement ring is fake."

Lena blinks. Once. Twice. Threefourfive. Sixseven. "What?"

"You heard her," Nia confirmed. 

The not-so-sure-if-she-was-engaged Luthor was in a state of pure confusion. "What the hell?! You all knew?!"

"Saw it in a dream." Lena's eyes flicked over to the IT man for his answer.

Winn grimaced, scratching his hair. "Well..."

Lena scoffs and as if right on cue, Kara flies through the window, furrowing her brow at the tense room, looking back and forth. "Uh, hi? Did I intrude in my own home?" M'gann and Clark wave from outside before they fly back off to their own homes.

"You're unbelievable," Lena scoffs again as she stands up and crosses her arms, facing a Kara who changed quickly into a button down and jeans, keeping her hair down, glasses on.

"Hi, honey, I missed you too," she says sarcastically, hooking her thumbs in the front of her jean pockets. "What did I do?"

"Don't play dumb with me, Danvers, you know exactly what you did," she spat. "You took everything that we had and put it into something fake??" she exclaimed, taking the ring off and holding it up as she stomped towards the strangely calm Kryptonian. Lena didn't care that the rest of her friend family was here, she was heated.

"Lena-"

"And you just do that and then leave for a mission? Not thinking I would find out sooner than later??"

"Le-"

"If you didn't have strong as steel skin right now, I'd slap you."

"Lena Kieran Luthor!" Kara grabbed her hands, staring her hard in her fuming eyes. "Shut. Up." A raise of a deadly eyebrow accompanied by a glare. "Please."

"You have one minute, get talking."

"Yes, it's fake." Lena sighed, looking down and away, only to have her head raised back up. "But us?" Kara said, gesturing her free finger back and forth between them. "We're not. None of this is fake, everything I feel for you, everything I have to offer to you, everything I can give you, it's all real. We're real.

"I didn't go off-world for superhero duty."

"Great, more lies," Lena says with a roll of her eyes and Kara knew she was holding back tears. "And I thought Luthors like me were the ones that were supposed to lie."

"I went off-world for you."

The Luthor heiress furrows her brow at her admit. "M-Me? What could possibly out in space for me?"

"I only want the best for you, Lena," Kara said truthfully. "You deserve everything that is good and kind and full of love.

"I made the rock a fake because I want the best for you and you deserve that. And what was in space..." She trailed off, going in her back pocket and down to one knee for the second time in less than a week, opening the velvet box. "Were the rarest rocks out there."

"Is that...?"

"Pallasite peridots and faceted tektite surrounding a diamond from space," Kara confirmed with a nod, making Lena cover her mouth in shock. "Space rocks. I went out in space to get you the ring you deserved. And, well, I was in space for an odd twenty-something years, so I was out there, waiting to meet you.

"Lena-"

"Yes," she whispers, nodding her head vehemently. "Kara, yes." Both of them grinned as Kara stood up and the brunette took her face to bring them in a kiss, the two forgetting for a moment that they were with their friends before they burst out in cheers and applause, chuckling when they broke apart.

"Your hand, Ms. Luthor." Said woman giggled with delight and pure happiness when the blonde took her hand to slip on the ring gently on her left ring finger, taking the reporter by the face once more to kiss her again, even throughout the applause.

Nia leaned over to Sam throughout the ruckus. "Tell me we're playing this video at the wedding."

Sam grinned as she stopped the recording on her phone, looking over at the younger woman. "You bet."