Broken Little Boxes

hello this has a lot of language and angst, on a scale of 1-10 for angst? i say 7, but there's a happy ending, though there will be an alternate ending out soon. got inspired by a tweet that Emmy told me to write so this one's for her, love ya

"Lena, you don't understand—"

"I don't understand?" Lena chuckled mirthlessly once from the other side of her office, biting her lip as she stared at her used-to-be best friend. "Kara, I've been fucking lied to my entire life, what makes you think I don't understand how this is different? It's not. You've lied from the beginning, the day we met and you didn't even bother to let me know that you're dangerous."

Kara raised her eyebrows as she took off her glasses, pausing in the motion. "Oh, I'm dangerous?"

"You're a Kryptonian, you're fucking Supergirl, you fight people every damn day, you're a reporter who goes out and risks her lives every day, you do it in and out of the suit. But it's followed you everywhere," the billionaire says, emotionless, taking her bun out from all the extra tension and letting it flow over her buttoned shirt. "My life has been risked so many times and half of the time it's because of you."

Kara licks her lips at her words and tucks her glasses into her collared shirt in front of her tie, placing her hands in her pockets. "You're a Luthor. Lena Luthor. You're a target alone if you didn't have me tagging along. If it weren't for me, you'd be dead. And without you, the world wouldn't be a safe place."

"They already have Supergirl, why the fuck do they need me?" Lena screams. "My family has already proven to be bad, I'm DESTINED TO FOLLOW THEM!"

"YOU make your own destiny—"

"That is such utter BULLSHIT!" she yells, staring at Kara in disgust as she slowly walks towards her. "Your destiny wasn't to become Supergirl. Your destiny was to take care of Clark or whatever the hell his name is, and NEVER become her. You were just supposed to be a caretaker, nothing more, and nothing less," she says through her teeth, pointing a finger at her which soon turns on herself. "Me? I don't know where or who I was supposed to become. If my mother didn't die, I wouldn't be a fucking Luthor—"

"That doesn't matter—"

"THE HELL IT DOES, KARA!!" From up close, the reporter could see the tears falling down her cheeks. "I would've NEVER become this hurt, this broken, this... disaster if it weren't for my family." She stops, shaking her head at her. "And you were part of it."

"Lena, I—"

Lena shoves her back as the blonde tries to move closer to her, making her stumble in shock. "Don't you fucking dare, Kara. You have no right." 

"Lena, I'm mad too—"

"Why the fuck would you be mad?" the angry brunette asked with her accent coming out, shoving her again, even if she barely moves.

"Because I didn't get to tell you myself, and that's on me. And I'm mad that you're mad at me because you don't deserve this."

"Kara, you can do better than that, I know you can get more heated, why don't you let that out instead of bottling it up like every other feeling you have?" Lena threatens through her teeth as she's now only inches away from her face, watching the superhero hold back her tears. 

"Fine," she says quietly. "I'm tired of holding back. I never wanted to hold back anything from you from the beginning. I felt something about you from the beginning and—"

"Cut the emotional bullshit, Danvers," the Luthor hisses as she shoves her once more, looking her up and down as Kara trembles. "If you don't want to be a fucking coward, you know what exactly I'm talking about."